1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hohmann Transfer Orbit (Simple)

1. Oct 8, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I've been stuck on this problem forever, any help is greatly appreciated. A satellite is in a LEO at h=300km and it is sent to a geosynchronous orbit at 4.224x10^4 km. Calculate velocity at pericenter i.e v_pe

2. Relevant equations

v_pe = (2πa_to)/p_to[2a_to/a_leo -1 ]^(1/2)

3. The attempt at a solution

I ran the numbers several times slowly in all the right units etc and still get a ridiculous number... i.e. a boost velocity of 10^6 power...

do I have the right equation for v_pe?

i used a_to = a_gs + a_leo / 2 where a_gs is the given quantity and a_leo = radius of earth + h

Is that the right set up? please help, thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2013 #2
    and p^2=a^3 with a in au for period of the transfer orbit

4. Oct 8, 2013 #3

gneill

Staff: Mentor

If I may suggest, perhaps an easier to use formula for the velocity of a body on orbit is given by:
    $$v(r) = \sqrt{\mu \left(\frac{2}{r} - \frac{1}{a} \right)}$$
    where ##\mu## is the gravitational parameter of the central body (GM for the Earth in this case).

You know the perigee radius and a for the transfer orbit... so no mucking about with AU and periods.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted