How do Hollywood SFX teams create realistic bullet hits and sparks in movies?

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Explosions
In summary, Hollywood uses blood packets to create realistic looking clouds of debris when a bullet supposedly hits something, and they make sparks by shooting a bullet at a metal object.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
Does anyone know how hollywood makes it look like a bullet hit... whatever it hit? I know they use blood packets for when it hits bodies but let's say a bullet 'hits' a box, you see a big puff of debris come out where the bullet entered (not even what happens in real life right?).. how od htey do this? And how do htey make sparks where a bullet supposedly hit a peace of metal?

If anyone goes to fileplanet much or is interested in Max Payne, someone did a tribute for it called "Hero" which had a lot of crazy special effects for bullets and it seemed kinda low-budget... stuff like that is hella interesting to me

Engineering news on Phys.org
A bullet doesn't cause a cloud of debris when it hits piece of drywall(have you ever handled a piece of that stuff), or cause sparks when it hits a piece of metal? Thats news to me.

As for "Hero", this wouldn't be the same movie with Jet Li in it, would it?

I know its BS but i want to make some small movies and obviously, don't care to be scientifiaclly accurate lol.

And no, it was a 5 minute parady of Max Payne the game (but yes Hero is that Jet Li movie). It was really awesome and was done by a bunch of students. The quality was absolutely 100% hollywood movie quality though!

What you want are "squibs" - Google it (in conjunction with "bullet special effects").

Squibs are sort of firecrackers, previously hidden where the bullets are supposed to hit, that make itty-bitty explosions when triggered off-screen.

Um, this falls in the realm of pyrotechnics, and you should not attempt this without a trained pyrotechnician, that is, unless you have eyes and fingers to spare.

I have friends eyes adn fingers to spare ;) But yah... doubt id ever do anything and if i did, id get someone who knows what there doing to set it up.

Pengwuino said:
I know its BS but i want to make some small movies and obviously, don't care to be scientifiaclly accurate lol.
I think so-crates was saying the opposite, that real bullets do make puffs of debris when hitting drywall or sparks when hitting metal.

Oh pff, miscommunication. I didnt say drywall but i did say how the bullet sparks when it hits a wall. The thing with the box is that the boxes you get most things in, those generic fold up types (nothing special like styrophone or multi-layer), a bullet should just punch a small hole in it. If you guys had ever seen the video I am talken about, a bullet hits this plain old ordinary box and a huge puff of smoke and debris come out where teh bullet was and it just seems so unrealistic. As far as the bullets hitting a piece of metal... the sparks in the video seemed too unrealistic to be the real spark effect.

But yah, i totally want to do some cool movie like that :D

1. What materials are used to create Hollywood SFX explosions?

Hollywood SFX explosions are typically created using a combination of practical and digital effects. For practical effects, materials such as gasoline, gunpowder, and dynamite are often used to create the explosion itself. Digital effects are then added in post-production to enhance the explosion and make it appear more realistic.

2. How do filmmakers ensure the safety of actors and crew during explosions?

Filmmakers take extensive precautions to ensure the safety of everyone on set during explosions. This includes having a certified pyrotechnician present, using protective gear for actors and crew, and conducting thorough rehearsals to ensure everyone knows what to expect during the explosion.

3. Can real explosions be used in Hollywood films?

In rare cases, real explosions may be used in Hollywood films. However, this is not common due to safety concerns and the difficulty of controlling a real explosion for filming purposes. Most Hollywood SFX explosions are created using a combination of practical and digital effects.

4. How are Hollywood SFX explosions timed with other special effects in a film?

Timing is crucial when it comes to Hollywood SFX explosions, especially when they need to be synchronized with other special effects in a film. This is typically achieved through careful planning and coordination between the special effects team and the filmmakers. Special effects software may also be used to precisely time the explosion with other effects.

5. Are there any environmental concerns with creating Hollywood SFX explosions?

Yes, there are environmental concerns with creating Hollywood SFX explosions. The use of certain materials, such as gasoline, can have negative impacts on the environment. Filmmakers and special effects teams are responsible for properly disposing of any materials used in the explosions and minimizing their environmental impact.

Back