Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Holographic grating - can we calculate efficiency for each order?

1. Oct 22, 2012 #1
    Hi,

I'm new to working with gratings. From using the basic grating eqn., I'm able to model the diffraction angles for each order with different angles of incidence upon the grating and I can calculate the dispersion given a broadband source with known minimum and maximum wavelength.

However, I'm unsure how the angle of incidence affects the power going into each order. I think the n=+1 order is usually the most efficient, although is there a dependence upon the incidence angle / diffraction angle for efficiency?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2012 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

4. Oct 23, 2012 #3
  5. Oct 25, 2012 #4
    In the case of some volume phase gratings I've seen, the shape of the grating only allows one order to exist. The higher orders have a larger than 90 degree diffraction angle and therefore don't exist. You might check out: R.E. Bell. Exploring a transmission grating spectrometer. RSI 75 10 (2004)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook