1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Holographic grating - can we calculate efficiency for each order?

1. Oct 22, 2012 #1
    Hi,

I'm new to working with gratings. From using the basic grating eqn., I'm able to model the diffraction angles for each order with different angles of incidence upon the grating and I can calculate the dispersion given a broadband source with known minimum and maximum wavelength.

However, I'm unsure how the angle of incidence affects the power going into each order. I think the n=+1 order is usually the most efficient, although is there a dependence upon the incidence angle / diffraction angle for efficiency?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2012 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

4. Oct 23, 2012 #3
  5. Oct 25, 2012 #4

Khashishi

Science Advisor

In the case of some volume phase gratings I've seen, the shape of the grating only allows one order to exist. The higher orders have a larger than 90 degree diffraction angle and therefore don't exist. You might check out: R.E. Bell. Exploring a transmission grating spectrometer. RSI 75 10 (2004)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook