Holographic Universe. 2D Universe = Matrix?

In summary,according to these articles, scientists are beginning to find evidence that the universe is a giant hologram or that is how the author understood it. People who believe in this theory say that because the universe is two-dimensional, we must live in a simulation. For people who don't believe in this theory, it's still confusing to understand how the two things relate.
Kaktus
Hi people. I just read some articles about physicist starting to gain more and more evidence for the Universe to be a 3D Hologram of a 2D world (or that's how I understood it). And apparently for us living in a "Matrix", like the one in the movie. Now I would like to understand the relation between those two. How exactly does the universe being a 2D world imply us living in a simulation? I just really don't get where these people take that theory from. Why would it have to be like that? What do those two things even have to do with each other? Great if people discover that the universe really is two dimensional but what the hell does it have to do with simulations? Thanks for reading and I hope you'll be able to answer some of my questions.

Article: http://motherboard.vice.com/read/there-is-growing-evidence-that-our-universe-is-a-giant-hologram

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You may have read something about the Holographic Principle that comes out of string theory.

Can you please reference these articles you read

Sorry but I can't really gain much from reading all of that, it's just kinda confusing. If you could make the time and you know about this stuff, it would be awesome if you could kindly summarize the relation there is (apparently) between a 2D world and living in a simulation. I don't know if vice is a credible source but googling on the subject it seems to me like there are quite a few articles like that on the internet (if you just google "universe giant hologram"), so I'm wondering what that's all about. If there's actually something to it or if it's just stuff you guys hear every day on this forum and just shaking your head over.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Great if people discover that the universe really is two dimensional
Holographic principle does not imply that the world is two-dimensional. Just as encountering the number PI in some physical equation does not imply that the universe has a shape of a wheel.

And apparently for us living in a "Matrix", like the one in the movie. Now I would like to understand the relation between those two. How exactly does the universe being a 2D world imply us living in a simulation?
The problem with "simulations" is philosophical. The first question is: what does the "outside" world look like? Are the laws of physics in the "real" worlds the same as the "simulated" ones?

All arguments that we live in a simulations I've heard of rely on some kind of "simulation errors". Usually the author assumes that there is some perfect outside world and we live in a buggy simulation. Also, usually they imply that the ideal real world is pure Newtonian, while quantum mechanics is the sum of simulation errors. The philosophical problem with this argument is that they find Newtonian physics "beautiful" and fundamental, while quantum physics is the ugly imperfect copy of it. In my opinion this view is wrong. QM is more beautiful and more fundamental than classical mechanics. There's no way to explain QM as "classical mechanics with errors", rather classical mechanics is an approximaition of QM.

Thus, we don't live in a simulation.

haael said:
Holographic principle does not imply that the world is two-dimensional. Just as encountering the number PI in some physical equation does not imply that the universe has a shape of a wheel.The problem with "simulations" is philosophical. The first question is: what does the "outside" world look like? Are the laws of physics in the "real" worlds the same as the "simulated" ones?

All arguments that we live in a simulations I've heard of rely on some kind of "simulation errors". Usually the author assumes that there is some perfect outside world and we live in a buggy simulation. Also, usually they imply that the ideal real world is pure Newtonian, while quantum mechanics is the sum of simulation errors. The philosophical problem with this argument is that they find Newtonian physics "beautiful" and fundamental, while quantum physics is the ugly imperfect copy of it. In my opinion this view is wrong. QM is more beautiful and more fundamental than classical mechanics. There's no way to explain QM as "classical mechanics with errors", rather classical mechanics is an approximaition of QM.

Thus, we don't live in a simulation.

Thanks for your answer, but did you read the article I referenced?

Thread closed for Moderation...

1. What is a holographic universe?

A holographic universe is a theory that suggests that all the information and experiences we perceive in our 3-dimensional world are actually encoded on a 2-dimensional surface, much like a hologram. This means that our reality may be a projection of information from a higher dimension.

2. How is a 2D universe related to the Matrix?

The Matrix is a popular science fiction concept where humans are living in a simulated reality. The idea of a 2D universe is similar in that our reality may be a projection from a higher dimension. However, in the Matrix, the simulation is controlled by artificial intelligence, while in a 2D universe, the projection is a natural phenomenon.

3. Is there evidence to support the holographic universe theory?

While there is no conclusive evidence, there are several scientific theories and experiments that suggest the possibility of a holographic universe. These include the holographic principle, which was proposed by physicist Leonard Susskind, and the black hole information paradox.

4. How does the holographic universe theory impact our understanding of reality?

The holographic universe theory challenges our traditional understanding of reality and suggests that the world we perceive may not be the ultimate reality. It also raises questions about the nature of consciousness and the role it plays in creating our reality.

5. Could we ever prove or disprove the holographic universe theory?

As of now, it is impossible to prove or disprove the holographic universe theory definitively. However, with advancements in technology and further research, we may be able to gather more evidence and potentially find ways to test this theory in the future.