Please explain to me the 2d holographic universe

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a holographic universe where everything we see is a 2D hologram. The speaker questions how we can see a 2D hologram if we ourselves are 2D, and how something 2D can have depth. They also mention their lack of visual imagination and how being 2D does not exclude being 3D. The concept is interesting in terms of physics, but does not have a significant impact on daily life. The topic was inspired by the idea of material entering a black hole and the surface of the black hole having the exact area to store information about its contents.
empleat
Hello,
this idea of holographic universe is mind boggling to me.
If we are 2d and everything we see is actully 2d hologram, like picture on the monitor
https://metro.co.uk/2017/01/30/our-...ctually-a-2d-hologram-say-scientists-6415724/.
There is something i am missing and some things i have to clrify...
How we can even see 2d hologram, if we are 2d outselves in the first place.
And if it is 2d, there is just picture from one perspective (point of view).
And what is even 2d, if it is only length and width for example, how it can have any depth, if depth is 0, how you can even see it, if you were 1mm above it maybe xD
I suffer from aphantasia, i don't have visual imagination at all, or if i can see something when i close my eyes dim, like 5%, if 100% would be like seeying it with eye.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
We are not 2D to the exclusion of being 3D.
All it means is that the information that makes us up can be mapped to a 2D surface.
That's interesting, because it may indicate physics that isn't obvious. But it doesn't change anything in one's daily life.

Likes phinds
And what is this 2d surface and where it is ?

empleat said:
And what is this 2d surface and where it is ?
The topic results from looking at what happens as material enters a black hole. From an external reference frame, as material approaches the event horizon, it cannot cross - and, as the math turns out, the surface of the black hole has the exact area required to store the information you would need to describe anything that may occupy the volume of black hole with a mass of the black hole.

So there is some sort of mapping.

Last edited:
Likes PeroK

What is a 2d holographic universe?

A 2d holographic universe is a theoretical concept that suggests that the three-dimensional world we experience is actually projected from information stored on a two-dimensional surface.

How does the holographic universe theory work?

The holographic universe theory is based on the idea that the information that makes up our reality is encoded on a two-dimensional surface at the boundary of our universe. This information is then projected into three-dimensional space, creating the illusion of a three-dimensional world.

What evidence supports the holographic universe theory?

There is currently no direct evidence for the holographic universe theory. However, some physicists have found mathematical equations that support the idea, and there are ongoing experiments exploring the possibility of detecting holographic information in the fabric of space-time.

What are the implications of the holographic universe theory?

If the holographic universe theory were proven to be true, it would completely change our understanding of reality. It would mean that our perception of the world as three-dimensional is just an illusion, and that everything we experience is ultimately encoded on a two-dimensional surface.

Is the holographic universe theory widely accepted by the scientific community?

The holographic universe theory is a highly debated topic within the scientific community. While some physicists have proposed and explored the idea, it is not widely accepted as a proven theory. Further research and evidence are needed to fully understand the implications and validity of the holographic universe theory.