Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Home work with set builder notation

1. Sep 21, 2008 #1

kkp

Ok, I am needing help turning (2, 5, 10, 17) into set builder notation. I know to get these you add odd numbers 3, 5, 7 but I can't wrap my mind around putting this into notation.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2008 #2

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

In other words, you are looking for a formula. Check for a changing difference between consecutive terms.

4. Sep 22, 2008 #3
    It's pretty pointless to use set builder notation for such a small set. (Homework always seems that way, doesn't it?)

Keep in mind that set builder notation is of the form

{expression | for <variable(s)> in {a bigger set} such that <condition>}

Here, you're working with integers, so the "bigger set" is going to be Z or Z+ or something.

The tricky part is figuring out a useful condition. For example, if your set was {2, 3, 5, 7, 11}, you could have said: {x | x in Z+ where x is prime and x <= 11}.

5. Sep 22, 2008 #4

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This question is silly. Here are some equally silly answers.

[tex]\{n | n\in\{2, 5, 10, 17\}\}[/tex]
    [tex]\{n | (n-2)(n-5)(n-10)(n-17)=0\}[/tex]
    [tex]\{n^2+1 | 1\le n\le4\}[/tex]

The polynomial in the second answer can be rewritten as n^4 - 34n^3 + 369n^2 - 1460n + 1700, if you prefer.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2008
  6. Sep 24, 2008 #5

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

How exactly to convert this into set builder notation, not sure; but I did some checking on the sequence of numbers.

The first term is obviously just 2.
    After that, the next terms conform to 2 plus the sumation as index goes from 2 to i of three plus two times the expression (n-2);

In other words, I'm saying from the second term onward, the term is
    2 + summation from 2 to i of (3 + 2(n-2)).

Some variation from that pattern might be possible (not sure) after n=4, since we might not be sure if only four terms as originally given were enough to build the pattern.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?