Homework about plane engineering drawing

In summary, the conversation is about a high school student seeking help with a homework assignment for engineering drawing class. The student has been absent due to illness and is unsure of how to complete the assignment, which will determine their success in the class. They have some ideas about how to approach the problem but are confused about using changes of projection planes. The expert asks for clarification and confirms some values in the student's work. The student also asks about the meaning of orthographic projections and the representation of planes in the isometric drawing. The expert asks what the student has learned so far in their engineering drawing class.
A dummy progression
Homework Statement
We give :

Frame: 150 × 180 (units in mm)

The line a and the point O.

Vertical projection of line a is (0 , 60) ; (150 , 170)
Horizontal projection of line a is (0 ,140) ; (150 , 40)
Vertical projection of point O (50 , 140)
Horizontal projection of point O (- ; 50)

We ask:

To build in the plan (O , a) the isocele triangle OAB ; the main vertex of this triangle is O and the base AB = 40 mm knowing that the AB side is carried by a and that A is the lowest vertex on the line a.

Note : Do all this using changes of projection plane
Relevant Equations
Real measure of a plabe figure using changes of projection plane
Hello, i wasn't in enginnering drawing class since 2 weeks because i was sick and my high school teacher told me to do this homework.
This is what I've done so far
16439224582243697066318953829075.jpg

I did not build the triangle 'cause i am not sure.
Please, i just want that someone accompanies me with steps by steps explanation because its the only one work that will decide if i fail class this period and we'll have semester exam next week.

But I've an idea about this homework :
1) drawing a frontal line of plan (O,a) crossing O and using it as a generatrice of the plan
2) find point B

And then i am puzzled about using changes of projection planes to build the isocele triangle.

Your help is welcome.

Physics news on Phys.org
Where is line a named?
Are the 150 mm vertical or horizontal?
What is the first value for the horizontal projection of point O?

Lnewqban said:
Where is line a named?
Are the 150 mm vertical or horizontal?
What is the first value for the horizontal projection of point O?
O(-,50)
Frame : 150 mm horizontal , 210 mm vertical
The two longest lines are the projections of line a and their names are close the frame

Regarding this problem, what have you learned so far in that enginnering drawing class?

Sorry, what is the first value for the horizontal projection of point O?
The minus sign in (-,50) seems to be a typo.
According to your drawing, it should be (50,50); could you confirm?

Last edited:
Lnewqban said:
Regarding this problem, what have you learned so far in that enginnering drawing class?

Sorry, what is the first value for the horizontal projection of point O?
The minus sign in (-,50) seems to be a typo.
According to your drawing, it should be (50,50); could you confirm?
Yes it's (50,50)

A dummy progression said:
Yes it's (50,50)
Thank you.
Do you understand the meaning of these two orthographic projections?

Orthographic projections.jpg

Orthographic projections (2).jpg

Attachments

• Drawing1 Model (1).pdf
    12 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
The top yellow rectangle represents the vertical plane on which the horizontal projection is drawn.
The bottom yellow rectangle represents the horizontal plane on which the vertical projection is drawn.

As you can see in the isometric drawing, the line joining both, vertical and horizontal planes, is the x-y line about which they are pivoted or opened from the normal 90-degree angle to each other.

That is the most universal way of representation, but perhaps your course teaches a different way; therefore, my previous question about what you have learned so far.

Last edited:
Likes A dummy progression

1. What is plane engineering drawing?

Plane engineering drawing is a technical drawing that represents a three-dimensional object or structure in two dimensions using specific symbols, measurements, and projections. It is commonly used in the field of engineering to communicate design ideas and specifications.

2. What are the different types of plane engineering drawings?

The most commonly used types of plane engineering drawings are orthographic, isometric, and perspective drawings. Orthographic drawings show the object from different views, while isometric drawings show the object in a 3D perspective. Perspective drawings are more realistic and show the object as it would appear to the human eye.

3. How are measurements and dimensions shown in plane engineering drawings?

Measurements and dimensions are shown using specific symbols and units of measurement, such as millimeters or inches. These are usually indicated next to the corresponding lines or shapes in the drawing. It is important to carefully follow the measurements and dimensions in a plane engineering drawing to ensure accuracy in the final product.

4. What software is used for creating plane engineering drawings?

There are various software programs available for creating plane engineering drawings, such as AutoCAD, SolidWorks, and CATIA. These programs allow for precise and efficient creation of technical drawings, and also offer features for 3D modeling and simulation.

5. Why is plane engineering drawing important in the field of engineering?

Plane engineering drawing is important because it allows engineers to accurately communicate their design ideas and specifications to others involved in the project, such as manufacturers and construction workers. It also serves as a reference for quality control and ensures that the final product meets the desired standards and requirements.