Solving Two Skiing Problems: Speed and Friction

In summary: I'm really struggling with this.In summary, Brianna is having problems with two problems. She is calculating the energy of an object, and she is also calculating the work done by nonconservative forces. She is not getting the correct answers.
BriannaUND
I'm having problems with the following two problems. Thank you for any help!
72) A skiier coasts down a very smooth 10-meter high slope. If the speed of the skiier on the top of the slope is 5.0m/s, what is his speed at the bottom of the slope?
I calculated 2gy= v2 and plugged in v= sq root (2x 9.8m/s2 x10m)= 14m/s Does this look correct? We did an example like this in class but we used vinitial = 0 m/s where its 5.0m/s in this problem so I don't know how to go on from there!
79) In #72, if the skiier has a mass of 60kg and the force of friction retards his motion by doing 2500 J of work, what is his speed at the bottom of the slope?
I know that there is an equation v= sq root (vo2 - 2ukmgd) but I don't know where to plug #s in or if this is even the right equation?!
Thanks again!

Physics news on Phys.org
The principle of conservation of energy:
[tex]K_A + U_A \pm W = K_B + U_B[/tex]

Can you take it from here?

No- that makes me more confused!

Oh, sorry :).
Well the above equation translates in this case into:
[tex]\frac{1}{2}mv_A^2 + mgh_A \pm W = \frac{1}{2}mv_B^2 + mgh_B[/tex]

Does this help at all?

ok- i can figure out # 72 now but How do I apply the "force of friction retards his motion by doing 2500 J of work" in #79>?

Also, I calculated #72 out, and I'm getting 5.0 m/s but I don't understand how the speed is the same?!

OK, let's back up here.

BriannaUND said:
I calculated 2gy= v2 and plugged in v= sq root (2x 9.8m/s2 x10m)= 14m/s Does this look correct?

No, it is wrong.

We did an example like this in class but we used vinitial = 0 m/s where its 5.0m/s in this problem so I don't know how to go on from there!

Write down an expression for the total energy at the top of the slope, and another expression for the total energy at the bottom. Then apply the law of conservation of energy, just like Päällikkö said. W represents the work done by nonconservative forces. Since #72 doesn't mention friction, you can set W=0 for that one.

I know that there is an equation v= sq root (vo2 - 2ukmgd) but I don't know where to plug #s in or if this is even the right equation?!

It is not the correct equation. Again, you have to apply the law of conservation of energy, and this time the work W is not zero.

Brianna, you seem to be looking for a formula that will solve every problem, instead of thinking about the problem. You can't do physics formulaically. You have to do some analysis wherein you apply physical principles, and in this case the principle is the law of conservation of energy.

Ok- I'm sorry to keep asking about the same questions but I tried to apply the law of conservation of energy to the two problems and I'm not coming out with the right answers:
72) I understand that PE at the top of the hill will be zero because the object is already moving, and it will also be 0 at the bottom of the hill because y=0. Applying this, that should leave KEa = KEb: .5mv2a= .5mv2b. This gives me .5(5)2 = .5v2 because m will cancel out. After calculating, I'm winding up with 5 m/s but that can't be the correct answer because the speed should increase as the skiier slides down the hill.
79) Again, PE should be zero at the top and bottom of the hill but now W is involved. SO I plugged in .5(60kg)(5)2 +2500 J = .5(60kg)(v)2. I calculated this out and got 10 m/s but I was told the answer is 12 m/s

1. How does speed affect skiing?

Speed is a crucial factor in skiing as it determines the amount of force and energy needed to navigate the slope. A higher speed means a greater force is required to control movements and maintain balance, increasing the risk of falls or accidents. It also affects the turning radius and stopping distance, requiring advanced skills and techniques to ski safely at high speeds.

2. What is the role of friction in skiing?

Friction is the force that opposes motion and is necessary for skiing as it helps to slow down and stop. The type of snow, wax on the skis, and the angle of the slope all affect the level of friction. Skiers must find the right balance of friction to maintain control and navigate the slope effectively. Too little friction can result in a loss of control, while too much can make it difficult to move and turn smoothly.

3. How can I increase my speed while skiing?

To increase speed while skiing, you can use a combination of techniques such as leaning forward, tucking your body, and using the edges of your skis. These actions reduce the amount of friction and air resistance, allowing you to move faster downhill. However, it is essential to maintain control and be aware of your surroundings, as excessive speed can be dangerous.

4. How do different types of snow affect skiing?

Different types of snow have varying levels of friction and can impact skiing in different ways. Powder snow has less friction, making it easier to ski at higher speeds, but it can also make it challenging to control movements. Wet or slushy snow has more friction, slowing down skiers and requiring more force to turn. Icy snow has the least amount of friction, making it difficult to stop and increasing the risk of falls.

5. How can I reduce friction while skiing?

To reduce friction while skiing, you can use different techniques such as waxing your skis, using the correct ski length, and maintaining proper body positioning. Waxing helps to reduce friction between the skis and the snow, allowing for smoother and faster movements. Using the right ski length and maintaining proper body positioning also help to minimize friction and increase speed while maintaining control. It is essential to find the right balance of friction to ski safely and effectively.