Frictional Forces -- Skier trying 2 different skis on a gentle slope

In summary, the magazine reports that a new type of plastic ski is even more water repellent, so on a gentle 203-m slope in the Alps, a skier reduced his time from 61 to 42 s. Assuming a 3.0 degree slope, the coefficient of kinetic friction for each case would be different.
Physisistor
1. A magazine reports that a new type of plastic ski is even more water repellent and that, on a gentle 203-m slope in the Alps, a skier reduced his time from 61 to 42 s with the new skis. Assuming a 3.0 degree slope, compute the coefficient of kinetic friction for each case.

I am having trouble just starting the problem. The time is throwing me off. Idk what equations to apply to involve this. I'm not looking for the answer but if someone could point me in the right direction that would be very helpful! thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure it's a 3.0 degree slope? That seems odd for this question..

Physisistor said:
1. A magazine reports that a new type of plastic ski is even more water repellent and that, on a gentle 203-m slope in the Alps, a skier reduced his time from 61 to 42 s with the new skis. Assuming a 3.0 degree slope, compute the coefficient of kinetic friction for each case.

I am having trouble just starting the problem. The time is throwing me off. Idk what equations to apply to involve this. I'm not looking for the answer but if someone could point me in the right direction that would be very helpful! thank you.

Welcome to the PF.

Please re-check the PF Rules/Guidelines thread in the Feedback forum. It is very important that you fill out the Homework Help Template that you are provided, and not just delete it. You need to show us the Relevant Equations, and at least start an Attempt at the Solution.

In this problem, what are the Relevant Equations that apply? Probably at least the equation for frictional force, right? And if you draw a FBD for the skier, what is the magnitude of force due to gravity that is pointed down that gentle slope? What is the force due to gravity normal to that gentle slope?

And do you think the skier is moving with a constant velocity in each of the 2 cases, or are they likely accelerating? What does the gentleness of the slope have to do with whether they are accelerating or not?

1. What are frictional forces?

Frictional forces are the forces that act against the motion of an object when it is in contact with another surface. These forces are caused by the roughness of the surfaces and can either slow down or prevent motion entirely.

2. How do frictional forces affect a skier?

Frictional forces can affect a skier in several ways. When skiing on a slope, frictional forces act in the opposite direction of the skier's movement, making it more difficult to maintain speed. Frictional forces also play a role in the grip of a ski on the snow, which can impact the skier's ability to turn and control their movements.

3. How do different skis affect frictional forces for a skier?

Different skis can have varying levels of frictional forces for a skier. Skis with a smoother base and sharper edges will have less friction and therefore allow for easier gliding and turning. Skis with a rougher base and duller edges will have more friction, making it more difficult to glide and turn.

4. What is the relationship between frictional forces and slope steepness?

The steeper the slope, the greater the frictional forces will be on a skier. This is because the angle of the slope increases the amount of surface area in contact with the ski, creating more frictional force. A gentle slope will have less frictional force, allowing for easier movement.

5. How can a skier minimize the impact of frictional forces?

A skier can minimize the impact of frictional forces by using skis with a smoother base and sharper edges, as well as regularly waxing and tuning their skis. Additionally, maintaining proper form and technique while skiing can reduce the amount of frictional force acting on the skier.