What is the Correct Calculation for Sam's Speed at the Bottom of the Slope?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a specialized formula to calculate the speed of a skier at the bottom of a slope. There is some confusion about the correct use of the formula and order of operations, but ultimately the correct answer is calculated to be 9.9 m/s.
defaultusername

Homework Statement

Sam, whose mass is 75 kg, stands at the top of a 12-m-high, 100-m-long snow-covered slope. His skis have a coefficient of kinetic friction on snow of 0.07. If he uses his poles to get started, then glides down, what is his speed at the bottom?

Homework Equations

v = √(2g(h-μk√(L2-h2)))

The Attempt at a Solution

It seems as simple as plugging in the values into the equation, but my result isn't anywhere near what it should be.
From my understanding:
g = 9.8
h = 12m
L = 100m
μk = 0.07

v = √(2(9.8)(12-0.07√(1002-122))) = 152.36
152.36 m/s? That seems a bit much to me. The back of my book says that it is 9.9 m/s, but how do I get there?
What did I mess up on?

Physics news on Phys.org
defaultusername said:
v = √(2g(h-μk√(L2-h2)))
This is a very specialized formula! (Is this sort of formula supplied for you on exams?)

v = √(2(9.8)(12-0.07√(1002-122))) = 152.36
When I calculate the left side, I don't get 152.36. Make sure you are doing the calculation correctly using your calculator.

Likes Mastermind01
Yeah we have to memorize it. I have no idea where it came from lol

When I punch it into my calculator I get the same answer. So I tried breaking it down algebraically as follows.
I still ended up with the same weird number.

calc.PNG

Am I plugging the values into the wrong places?

See if you can spot the error in going from the 3rd to the 4th line. "Order of operations" is important here.

Likes defaultusername
Rather than multiply, I take the 11.93th root of 9856?

blah.PNG

When I plug it into my calculator I get the correct answer, but I am concerned that when I do it by hand I am going to mess it up. :/

How would you evaluate ##9 - 2 \cdot 3##

You have a subtraction and a multiplication. Which operation should you do first?

Likes defaultusername
Oh! Duh!
Thank you!

What is the difference between speed and kinetic friction?

Speed refers to the rate at which an object is moving. Kinetic friction is the force that opposes the motion of an object as it slides or rolls over a surface. Essentially, speed is a measure of how fast something is moving, while kinetic friction is a force that acts against that movement.

How does speed affect the amount of kinetic friction?

Generally, the higher the speed of an object, the greater the kinetic friction will be. This is because as an object moves faster, it exerts more force on the surface it is in contact with, resulting in a stronger force of kinetic friction.

What factors influence the amount of kinetic friction?

The amount of kinetic friction is influenced by the roughness of the surface the object is moving on, the weight of the object, and the speed at which the object is moving. Other factors such as temperature and the presence of lubricants can also affect the amount of kinetic friction.

How is kinetic friction measured?

Kinetic friction is typically measured in units of force, such as newtons. It can also be measured by the coefficient of kinetic friction, which is a dimensionless number that represents the amount of friction between two surfaces. This coefficient is determined by dividing the force of kinetic friction by the normal force (the force pushing the two surfaces together).

How can we reduce the effects of kinetic friction?

There are a few ways to reduce the effects of kinetic friction. One way is to use lubricants, such as oil or grease, to create a slippery layer between the two surfaces. Another way is to use smoother materials for the surfaces in contact with each other. Additionally, reducing the weight of the object or slowing down its speed can also reduce the amount of kinetic friction.