Homework on quiz i took alredy

In summary, the arrangement of charges +Q and -Q in a square results in a net electric field and potential of 0 at the center point P due to the equal and opposite forces acting on a unit charge in two directions, cancelling each other out. This leads to the conclusion that both E=0 and V=0 at P.
c-murda

Homework Statement

Charges +Q and –Q are arranged at the corners of a square as shown. When the electric field and the electric potential V are determined at P, the center of the square, we find that

Homework Equations

(+Q)---------------(-Q)

-----------P----------- There is line crossging through P from top left +Q and to bottom right +Q and same for -Q's

(-Q)---------------(+Q)

The Attempt at a Solution

1. E = 0 and V > 0
2. E ≠ 0 and V < 0
3. E= 0 and V= 0
4. E ≠ 0 and V > 0
5. None of these is correct. 0%

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you took this quiz already as you seem to imply in the title, what answer did you give and what was your reasoning?

Last edited:
Question seems to be chopped off?

kuruman said:
If you took this quiz already as you seem to imply in the title, what answer did you give and what was your reasoning?
i choose none of these are correct because none of them seemed correct to me. notic the 0% next to the last option(none of these are correct)

rickysio said:
Question seems to be chopped off?

the question is there in full. it was a multiple choise question.

c-murda said:
i choose none of these are correct because none of them seemed correct to me. notic the 0% next to the last option(none of these are correct)

the question is there in full. it was a multiple choise question.

That isn't a reason. That is circular reasoning.

Let's start with the electric filed - how do you think, what is electric field in P?

are the two fields canceled by the push and pull of the oppositely charged particles...leading to 0

Right. It is even easier if you think in terms of the definition - force acting on the unit charge. If you place any charge in point P is it pulled in two opposite directions - and these pulls cancel out, and it is pushed in two opposite directions - once agin, forces cancels out.

What about potential?

Borek said:
Right. It is even easier if you think in terms of the definition - force acting on the unit charge. If you place any charge in point P is it pulled in two opposite directions - and these pulls cancel out, and it is pushed in two opposite directions - once agin, forces cancels out.

What about potential?

Since potential is a scalar, you can just add up the value and account for sign. I can see that for every positive charge at a fixed distance there is a corresponding negative charge. This is why when I add it up, the net potential is zero.

So E=0 and V=0?

c-murda said:
Since potential is a scalar, you can just add up the value and account for sign. I can see that for every positive charge at a fixed distance there is a corresponding negative charge. This is why when I add it up, the net potential is zero.

So E=0 and V=0?

yes.

1. What should I do if I missed a quiz for homework?

If you missed a quiz for homework, you should reach out to your teacher or professor as soon as possible to explain the situation and ask if there is a make-up option available. It is important to communicate and address the issue promptly to avoid any penalties.

2. How can I prepare for a quiz that is part of my homework?

To prepare for a quiz that is part of your homework, make sure you have thoroughly studied and understood the material. Review your notes, textbooks, and any other relevant resources. You can also create flashcards or practice quizzes to test your knowledge.

3. Can I use outside resources for a quiz that is part of my homework?

It is important to follow the guidelines set by your teacher or professor regarding the use of outside resources for a quiz that is part of your homework. Some may allow it, while others may consider it cheating. If you are unsure, it is best to ask for clarification.

4. How can I improve my quiz grades for homework?

To improve your quiz grades for homework, make sure you are actively engaged in class and taking notes. Ask questions and participate in discussions to deepen your understanding of the material. Additionally, you can seek help from your teacher or a tutor if you are struggling with a particular topic.

5. Is it okay to collaborate with classmates on homework quiz assignments?

It is important to follow the guidelines set by your teacher or professor regarding collaboration on homework quiz assignments. Some may allow it, while others may consider it cheating. If you are unsure, it is best to ask for clarification. Remember, it is always better to err on the side of caution and do your own work.