Homework question from economics

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the equilibrium (k* and c*) for a system of differential equations. The equations are c° = -1/0,5 * ( f'(k) - 0,10)Ct and k° = f(k)-0,06kt -Ct, and it is determined that in order to find k* and c*, both equations must be set equal to zero. It is also mentioned that there was a mistake in the first equation, which is corrected. The final values for k* and c* are calculated using the equations and it is suggested to try inserting ct = f(k) - 0,06kt into the first equation to get the same answer.
beaf123
< Mentor Note -- thread moved to HH from the technical math forums, so no HH Template is shown >

Hi, I have already delivered the homework so my reason for asking is because I want to/ need to understand it.

upload_2015-3-12_17-38-42.png

I am at question d. I have found the two differential equations.

They are:

c° = -1/0,5 * ( f'(k) - 0,04)Ct

and

k° = f(k)-0,06kt -Ct

In equilibrium both c° and k° will be zero so both equations can be set equal to zero.

But how do you proceede from here, to find k* and c*? Can you set f'(k) = 0,25K^-0,75 + 2 since f(k) = k^0,25 and k(0) = 2?

If I have explained it too bad I can elaborate. I hope someone can help me:)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
beaf123 said:
< Mentor Note -- thread moved to HH from the technical math forums, so no HH Template is shown >

Hi, I have already delivered the homework so my reqson for qsking is becquse I want to/ need to understand it.

View attachment 80248

They are:

and

k° = f(k)-0,06kt -Ct

In equilibrium both c° and k° will be zero so both equations can be set equal to zero.

But how do you proceede from here, to find k* and c*? Can you set f'(k) = 0,25K^-0,75 + 2 since f(k) = k^0,25 and k(0) = 2?

The posted images are too small on my screen, and I cannot enlarge them. My eyes are not as good as they once were, so your images are unreadable to me, reading glasses and all. If you post larger images or---better still---type it all out (as per PF standards), then I will be willing to help.

Thanks. I will post a lager picture tomorrow.

upload_2015-3-13_14-47-51.png
I have answered until c),

question d) is:

d) Find the equilibrium (k* c*).

And its here I am struggeling. I have my two equations, and all the needed numbers, so all I want to do is solve the two equations for C and K.

Last edited:
beaf123 said:

Hi, I have already delivered the homework so my reason for asking is because I want to/ need to understand it.

View attachment 80248

They are:

and

k° = f(k)-0,06kt -Ct

If ##c^{o}## means ##dc/dt##, etc., and if your two differential equations are correct (I have not checked) then the answer to your questions is YES. You need ##dc/dt = 0##, so if ##c \neq 0## you need ##f'(k^*) = 0.04##. Thus, you can determine ##k^*##. You also need ##dk/dt = 0##, so ## 0 = f(k^*) - 0.06 k^* - c^*##, so you can determine ##c^*##

Thank you. I found a mistake in my differential equation. It should be:
c° = -1/0,5 * ( f'(k) - 0,10)Ct

So this gives:

f`(k) = 0,10
0,25k^-0,75=0,10
k^-0,75=0,4
k=0,4^(-1/0,75)
k*= 3,393
which again gives

c*= 3,393^0,25-0,06(3,393)
c*=1,153

Thanks again for the help. Would you get the same answer if you inserted ct = f(k) - 0,06kt into the first equation?

beaf123 said:
Thank you. I found a mistake in my differential equation. It should be:
c° = -1/0,5 * ( f'(k) - 0,10)Ct

So this gives:

f`(k) = 0,10
0,25k^-0,75=0,10
k^-0,75=0,4
k=0,4^(-1/0,75)
k*= 3,393
which again gives

c*= 3,393^0,25-0,06(3,393)
c*=1,153

Thanks again for the help. Would you get the same answer if you inserted ct = f(k) - 0,06kt into the first equation?

Try it for yourself!

1. What is the importance of completing homework questions from economics?

Completing homework questions from economics helps students practice and apply the concepts they have learned in class. It also allows them to identify any areas of confusion and seek clarification from their instructor. In addition, completing homework assignments can improve students' critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

2. How can I effectively manage my time when working on homework questions from economics?

To effectively manage your time when working on homework questions from economics, create a schedule and set aside dedicated time for completing assignments. Prioritize tasks based on their due dates and difficulty level. Also, avoid distractions and take short breaks to stay focused and avoid burnout.

3. Can I get help with my homework questions from economics?

Yes, you can seek help from your instructor, classmates, or online resources such as study guides and tutorial videos. It is important to also utilize the resources provided by your textbook, such as practice problems and solutions, as well as any additional materials provided by your instructor.

4. How can I check if my answers to homework questions from economics are correct?

You can check your answers by comparing them to the solutions provided by your textbook or instructor. You can also seek feedback from your classmates or attend review sessions. Additionally, online resources such as study groups or forums can provide helpful feedback on your answers.

5. How can I avoid plagiarism when completing homework questions from economics?

To avoid plagiarism, it is important to properly cite any sources used in your homework, including quotes, data, and ideas. Make sure to use your own words and do not copy and paste information from external sources. If you are unsure about proper citation methods, consult your instructor or refer to a trusted style guide.