Homework question on special relativity

In summary, Samantha, Tom, and Roberta are triplets. Samantha is an airline pilot who flies at 300 ms-1 for 80 hours per month in her rest frame. Using the time dilation formula, it is determined that she will be 51.84 microseconds younger than her brother Tom when she retires after 30 years.
spaghetti3451

Homework Statement

Samantha, Tom, and Roberta are triplets.

(i) Samantha is an airline pilot who flies along a straight flight path at 300 ms-1 for 80 hours per month (in her rest frame). How much younger will she be than her brother Tom (who handles baggage at the airport) when she retires after 30 years?

Homework Equations

Time dilation formula

The Attempt at a Solution

Use the time dilation formula t = γt0, where t is the time in the moving frame (that of Tom) and t0 is the time in the rest frame (that of Samantha).

t0 = (3600*80*12*30) = 103680000 s
v = 300 ms-1

Therefore, t = t0 + (51.84 ms), using the binomial expansion in the calculation.

So, Samantha will be 51.84 ms younger when she retires after thirty years.

Could you please confirm if I am right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Seems like you're off by a few powers of 10. (Unless I messed up the calculation.)

What did you get for γ-1?

I think I have spotted the error. Is your answer in microseconds rather than milliseconds?

i.e. 51.84 microseconds.

That's it. μs, not ms.

What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory proposed by Albert Einstein that describes the relationship between space and time. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion and that the speed of light in a vacuum is constant for all observers.

How does special relativity differ from classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics, also known as Newtonian mechanics, was the dominant theory of physics before special relativity. Special relativity takes into account the effects of objects moving at high speeds, while classical mechanics only applies to low speeds.

What are the key principles of special relativity?

The key principles of special relativity are the constancy of the speed of light, the relativity of simultaneity, time dilation, and length contraction. These principles all stem from the idea that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion.

How is time dilation explained in special relativity?

Time dilation refers to the phenomenon where time appears to pass slower for an object in motion relative to an observer. This is due to the fact that the speed of light is constant, so the faster an object moves, the slower time appears to pass for that object. This has been proven through experiments and has important implications for space travel and GPS systems.

What are some practical applications of special relativity?

Special relativity has many practical applications, including GPS systems, particle accelerators, and nuclear power plants. It also helps to explain various phenomena in astrophysics, such as black holes and the Big Bang theory.