1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework question Static Equilibrium, resultant velocity

1. Feb 27, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    See the attached sheet, I had missed todays class due to dentist and I found out we had an assignment due today by end of day, I am having trouble learning this on my own, I am trying right now. Could anyone help me with the solutions?

2. Relevant equations
    Question one is looking at static equilibrium

Second were after resultant velocity

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2015 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Hello Robert and welcome to PF.
    It's better to post separate problems in separate threads. For now I'll just respond to the first one.

You are supposed to post some attempt, or at the very least some thoughts on the matter. You may have missed one class, but if given a problem like this I doubt you are completely new to statics.
    What do you understand by the term 'the load in a member' (in this context)? Do you understand what is meant by components?
    What forces do you need to consider? What general statics equation(s) are likely to be useful?

4. Feb 27, 2015 #3
    Hello, thanks for the reply.

For question 1 I am working on the loads based on slopes in both members and then creating equations for sum of forces in the x and sum of forces in the y direction

I have for x direction -12/13ac+5/root89bc=0 and then for the y i have 5/13ac + 8/root89bc=306kg

after that I am lost as i dont know how to sub in the equations when i have a root as part of it, generally it would just be two fractions

5. Feb 27, 2015 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You mean AB, not AC. 306kg is a mass; the equation requires a force.

Makes no difference, it's just a number. Solve the simultaneous equations in the usual way.

6. Feb 28, 2015 #5

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just for clarification, the OP has posted two copies of the same problem. :oops:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted