Homogeneous Differential equations

In summary, the task at hand is to show that y = e^x and y = x + 1 are solutions to the homogeneous equation xy'' - (x+1)y' + y = 0, and that they are basic solutions, meaning they are linearly independent and span the space of solutions. This is important because these basic solutions can be used to find all other solutions to the homogeneous equation. The given equations are not homogeneous, but by dropping the terms on the right side, they can be made into homogeneous equations. The solutions y1 and y2 should be used separately, but any linear combination of them is also a solution.
Dell
in the following question i am asked to whow that Y1 and Y2 are basic solutions to the homogeneous equations
Capture.JPG

for 4.1)

y=ex=y' =y''

xy'' - (x+1)y' + y = x2
xex - (x+1)ex + ex = 0

none of these seem to work, what am i doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
are these equations even homogeneous?

No, the given equations aren't homogeneous, but the equations formed by dropping the terms from the right sides (replacing the right sides by 0) are homogeneous.
For 4.1, the homogeneous equation is xy'' - (x + 1)y' + y = 0. It's easy to show that y_1 and y_2 are solutions to this homogeneous equation. By "basic" I think it means that y_1 and y_2 are linearly independent (easy to show) and span the space of solutions to the homogeneous equation, which is of dimension 2.

Same approach for 4.2.

so what are they actually asking me to do? to show that by using y=e^x i can make the equation a homogeneous one??

No. Show that y = e^x and y = x + 1 are solutions to xy'' - (x+1)y' + y = 0. Note that these functions are NOT solutions to the nonhomogeneous equation, xy'' - (x+1)y' + y = x^2. The second problem is almost exactly the same.

Don't overthink this. You are not being asked to find solutions - just verify that the given functions are solutions to the homogeneous equations.

but i don't understand why they would give me the nonhomogeneous equation

also am i supposed to use y1 and y2 seperately or at the same time, ie use y1 once prove that it is a solution and then use y2. or am i meant to use them together somehow

Dell said:
but i don't understand why they would give me the nonhomogeneous equation
I guess because they are assuming you know the difference between a nonhomogeneous equation and the associated homogeneous equation.
Dell said:
also am i supposed to use y1 and y2 seperately or at the same time, ie use y1 once prove that it is a solution and then use y2. or am i meant to use them together somehow
Separately. However, if y1 and y2 are a set of basic solutions, which you need to show, then any linear combination of them is also a solution. IOW, if y1 and y2 are basic solutions to your 2nd order homogeneous DE, then y = c1y1 + c2y2 is a solution, and in fact represents all of them.

1. What is a homogeneous differential equation?

A homogeneous differential equation is a type of differential equation where the dependent variable and its derivatives appear in terms of a single independent variable, and all the terms in the equation have the same degree. This means that all the terms can be expressed as a multiple of the dependent variable and its derivatives.

2. How do you solve a homogeneous differential equation?

The general approach to solving a homogeneous differential equation is by using separation of variables. This involves separating the dependent and independent variables on opposite sides of the equation and then integrating both sides to solve for the dependent variable. In some cases, substitution or using a special integrating factor may also be necessary.

3. What is the difference between a homogeneous and non-homogeneous differential equation?

The main difference between a homogeneous and non-homogeneous differential equation is that in a homogeneous equation, all terms have the same degree, whereas in a non-homogeneous equation, the degrees of the terms may vary. This means that the methods used to solve these two types of equations may differ.

4. Can all differential equations be classified as either homogeneous or non-homogeneous?

No, there are some differential equations that cannot be classified as either homogeneous or non-homogeneous. These are known as partial differential equations, which involve partial derivatives of multiple variables. These equations require more advanced techniques to solve.

5. What are some real-life applications of homogeneous differential equations?

Homogeneous differential equations have many applications in various fields of science and engineering. They are commonly used in physics to model the behavior of physical systems, in chemistry to study reaction kinetics, and in biology to understand population dynamics. They are also used in engineering for designing control systems and in economics for studying market dynamics.