Hoop with seven spokes finding Inertia

• Thread starter physics10189
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inertia
In summary, the problem involves finding the moment of inertia of a wheel made up of a hoop and seven equally spaced spokes, rotating about an axis through its center and perpendicular to the plane of the wheel. The moment of inertia for the hoop is calculated using the formula I=Mr^2, while the moment of inertia for the spokes is calculated using the formula (1/12)ML^2. The parallel axis theorem is then used to find the moment of inertia for the wheel about an axis through its rim and perpendicular to the plane of the wheel. This involves adding the moment of inertia for the spokes and the hoop, and using the total mass and the displacement (radius) in the formula I=Icm+MD^2.
physics10189

Homework Statement

A wheel is formed from a hoop of mass 2.2kg and seven equally spaced spokes, each of mass 0.13kg. The hoop's radius is the length 0.54m of each spoke.

Find the moment of inertial of the whell about an axis through its center and perpendiucular to the plane of the wheel.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I use the inertia of the hoops
I=Mr^2
so there are seven radius
M=(7*.13)+2.2
R=(.54)
which i get .906876
I am doing something, right?

Physics news on Phys.org
the spokes are rods of length .54m

physics10189 said:
I am doing something, right?
Something, but not everything. What is the moment of inertia for a rod of mass m and length l rotating about an axis normal to the rod, with the axis of rotation at the end of the rod?

Oh wow i never thought about rod, but I think it is unneccessary for the rod to have an inertia because it never define the spokes are rods.
But I would like to here your advice how would i combine the inertia of the hoop and the rod
Inertia of rod is (1/12)ML^2

Well, because one top of the the rod is at the center of the wheel, u should easily find its moment of inertial. Then just time 7.

Find the hoop's moment of inertial, plus all together.

physics10189 said:
Inertia of rod is (1/12)ML^2
Not in this case.

Well I assume the inertia of the rod is (1/12)(7*M)(L^2)
right?

No. Repeating from post #3, what is the moment of inertia for a rod of mass m and length l rotating about an axis normal to the rod, with the axis of rotation at the end of the rod?

Ok i understand, I saw my mistake.

Here is another problem
Determine the moment of inertia of teh wheel about an axis through its rim and perpendicular to the plane of the wheel.

Does this mean that the wheel is now on the axis? or something else?

physics10189 said:
Ok i understand, I saw my mistake.

Here is another problem
Determine the moment of inertia of teh wheel about an axis through its rim and perpendicular to the plane of the wheel.

Does this mean that the wheel is now on the axis? or something else?

This means they want you to apply the || axis theorem to the moment of inertia for the wheel about its center doesn't it?

I do not know what you mean by that.

Two vertical lines || is short for parallel. You need to use the parallel axis theorem.

Ok so I found the parallel axis theorem
I=Icm+MD^2

the only problem is what is going the be the Icm
Is it the sum of 7 spokes and the hoop
also is the M the total mass of the 7 spokes and the hoop
and what is D
is D just the radius?

physics10189 said:
Ok so I found the parallel axis theorem
I=Icm+MD^2

the only problem is what is going the be the Icm
Is it the sum of 7 spokes and the hoop
also is the M the total mass of the 7 spokes and the hoop
and what is D
is D just the radius?

What they want you to do is use find the moment of inertia. So yes it is the moment of 7 spokes plus the rim. That is the Icm.

That done then apply the (|| sorry for that) parallel axis theorem, which would be using the total Mass and the displacement, which in this case is the Radius L.

1. What is a hoop with seven spokes?

A hoop with seven spokes is a circular object with seven evenly spaced spokes attached to its circumference. It is often used in physics experiments to study rotational motion and inertia.

2. How is inertia related to a hoop with seven spokes?

Inertia is the tendency of an object to resist changes in its state of motion. In the case of a hoop with seven spokes, its inertia is affected by the mass of the hoop and the distribution of that mass along its circumference. This can be observed by spinning the hoop and noting how it resists changes in its rotational motion.

3. How can a hoop with seven spokes help us understand rotational motion?

By studying the behavior of a hoop with seven spokes, we can observe how rotational motion is affected by the distribution of mass and the force applied to the object. This can help us understand and make predictions about the behavior of other rotating objects, such as wheels or gears.

4. Can a hoop with seven spokes have different levels of inertia?

Yes, the level of inertia of a hoop with seven spokes can vary depending on the mass and distribution of that mass along its circumference. A hoop with a greater mass or a more concentrated mass distribution will have a higher level of inertia and will be more resistant to changes in its rotational motion.

5. How is a hoop with seven spokes used in real-world applications?

A hoop with seven spokes is commonly used in gyroscope technology, which is used in navigation systems and stabilizing devices. It is also used in engineering and physics experiments to study rotational motion and inertia. Additionally, some fitness equipment, such as hula hoops, use the concept of a hoop with seven spokes to provide a challenging and effective workout.