1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Horizontal Range and Maximum Height of a Projectile

1. Sep 8, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A ball is thrown vertically up from y=0 at time t=0 with vinitial=v0j. Show that the time it takes for the ball to reach the ground is twice the time it takes to reach its maximum height.

2. Relevant equations
    h=(vi2sinthetai)/2g
    R=(vi2sin2thetai)/g

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have no idea where to start solving this problem.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2010 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

It is a purely vertical motion problem, so you can use just
    V = Vo + at and d = Vo*t+½at²
    Looks like you will have to get an expression for the time to maximum height and the time of the full flight back to ground.
    It will be most helpful if you can see what the velocity is at maximum height and just before it hits the ground.

4. Sep 8, 2010 #3
    I think I just have trouble figuring out what I need to solve for and what values to substitute where.

5. Sep 9, 2010 #4

Delphi51

Homework Helper

What is the velocity at the point of maximum height?
    Substitute that into V = Vo + at and you will have the time of maximum height.

Do a very similar thing for the point where it hits the ground, and you'll have the full time of flight.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook