1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Horizontal range questions help

1. Jan 16, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A ball rolls off a table at an initial velocity of 2.5 m/s. The table's height is 3 meters. Similarly another question asks for the same thing except this time it's a rifle shooting a bullet with a velocity of 250 m/s with a height of 3 meters.

2. Relevant equations
    The formula I have is this: sqrt(2*height divided by 9.8)
    3. The attempt at a solution
    I got the same answer for both because the height is the same but their velocities are radically different. Do they not factor into the formula?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2015 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No...because the vertical component is zero in both cases.

4. Jan 16, 2015 #3
    So my answer would be the same for the two questions?

5. Jan 16, 2015 #4

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Probably, but you don't actually state the full question. Are they asking about the velocity the ball hits the ground? The time taken to hit the ground? How high it bounces? Sure I could work it out from the equation you use but how can I tell if you are using the right equation?

Do you understand why you are using that equation and not one that includes the horizontal velocity? Many of the equations of motion include the initial velocity. What is the relevant initial velocity in this case?

Edit: I might be totally wrong. The question title talks about horizontal range? Is that what the question asks you to calculate?

Edit 2: sqrt(2*height divided by 9.8) = ???

6. Jan 16, 2015 #5

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Perhaps I'm being too cryptic.

You quote the equation "sqrt(2*height divided by 9.8)". What does that give you?

7. Jan 16, 2015 #6
    Yeah, I'm looking for the horizontal range and how long it spends in the air. I have .78 as the answers. That would mean the horizontal range is 1.56, right?

8. Jan 16, 2015 #7

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sorry to sound picky but I assume you mean 0.78 seconds? If so then yes that's correct. for both.

Which one (ball or bullet) has a range of 1.56 kilometres?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted