Host the Perfect Cheese & Wine Party: Ideas for Cheeses, Wines & Biscuits

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary, hosting a perfect cheese and wine party requires choosing a variety of complementary cheeses, wines, and biscuits. Cheeses should range from soft and creamy to hard and aged, with a mix of flavors such as mild and tangy. Wines should also have a range of flavors and pair well with the selected cheeses. Biscuits should be simple and plain, allowing the cheese and wine flavors to shine. To add a unique touch, consider offering a themed cheese and wine pairing or incorporating a cheese board display. Overall, the key to a successful cheese and wine party is providing a diverse and well-curated selection of cheeses, wines, and biscuits for guests to enjoy.
Alternately, it's queens day eve, celibrated in the big cities already. So put also the http://www.de-ooievaar.nl/english/other_distillates.php?id=83 in the fridge

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
rewebster said:
got any sheep cheese up there?

Aged kasseri would be similar to asiago or parmesan but milder if one chose to include that instead of asiago. Or pecorino romano. All the sheep cheeses I've ever had are very mild (bland). They're good ingredients for cooking, but kind of boring to eat by themselves in my opinion.

Woolie, you might have to talk to the owner of a wine shop to locate the "undiscovered gems". One of my favorite inexpensive vinyards was Geyser Peak Winery - very reasonably priced with impeccable quality. You can click on the link below to see why I no longer buy their wines.

http://www.geyserpeakwinery.com/home.aspx

Moonbear said:
Aged kasseri would be similar to asiago or parmesan but milder if one chose to include that instead of asiago. Or pecorino romano. All the sheep cheeses I've ever had are very mild (bland). They're good ingredients for cooking, but kind of boring to eat by themselves in my opinion.

I agree sheeps cheese is for wimps, i like the sound of asiago.

Moonbear said:

my, my, MB...I didn't realize you were so cheesy

def.: cheesy (cheese aficionadi)

:approve:

Last edited:
turbo-1 said:
Woolie, you might have to talk to the owner of a wine shop to locate the "undiscovered gems". One of my favorite inexpensive vinyards was Geyser Peak Winery - very reasonably priced with impeccable quality. You can click on the link below to see why I no longer buy their wines.

http://www.geyserpeakwinery.com/home.aspx

Ouch! Rather spendy there! There was a CA winery in the Russian River Valley that made a pinot noir that was consistently good year after year that I loved (it was an older vineyard), and was really reasonably priced, but they stopped making their pinot noir. I don't know if they sold off the vineyard, or the grapes stopped being consistent in flavor or what, but it's disappointing when you find something that's consistently good over several vintages and then you can't get it anymore. :frown: I also hate when too many people discover the wines I like. They go from being an inexpensive wine around $10/bottle to suddenly being $35 or more per bottle just because people besides me figured out the little no-name vineyard has incredibly tasty wines.

wolram---what's the budget? 100-300 lbs?

(I don't have the right symbol) BP? BPS?

Last edited:
Moonbear said:
Ouch! Rather spendy there! There was a CA winery in the Russian River Valley that made a pinot noir that was consistently good year after year that I loved (it was an older vineyard), and was really reasonably priced, but they stopped making their pinot noir. I don't know if they sold off the vineyard, or the grapes stopped being consistent in flavor or what, but it's disappointing when you find something that's consistently good over several vintages and then you can't get it anymore. :frown: I also hate when too many people discover the wines I like. They go from being an inexpensive wine around $10/bottle to suddenly being $35 or more per bottle just because people besides me figured out the little no-name vineyard has incredibly tasty wines.

I think max of £10 a bottle, may be a little more for a fantastic wine, but i would hold that back from the plonk drinkers.

rewebster said:
wolram---what's the budget? 100-300 lbs?

(I don't have the right symbol) BP? BPS?

£300 to £500 max, may be average between £5 to £6 per bottle of wine with a few up to
about £10, and £100 for food or there abouts.

Looking at the price of some cheeses may be £150 for food.

so, £10 to £15 each for drinks and £4 to £5 each for foods?

Last edited:
rewebster said:
so, 10 to 15£ each for drinks and 4 to 5£ each for foods?

Yes i think that is generous enough if not a bit over the top, but this lot would eat a field of turnips and drain a horse trough, and want rhubarb and custard for afters.

Moonbear said:
Moonie, IIR, the first bottle of Geyser Peak Cab-Sauv that I bought cost me 99 cents at the local Bud's Shop 'n Save when I was a college student (probably '71 or so). I had a dinner date (I was making spaghetti and garlic bread) that night and I didn't want to overshadow my good cooking and "impress" my date with wine from a bottle with a screw-top. After that night, I bought Geyser Peak wines at every opportunity until they priced themselves out of my budget. I'm glad for the folks who own the winery, but I'm pretty bitter over the fact that they got "discovered" so soon.

There is smoked gouda at all of my parties. :approve:

turbo-1 said:
Moonie, IIR, the first bottle of Geyser Peak Cab-Sauv that I bought cost me 99 cents at the local Bud's Shop 'n Save when I was a college student (probably '71 or so). I had a dinner date (I was making spaghetti and garlic bread) that night and I didn't want to overshadow my good cooking and "impress" my date with wine from a bottle with a screw-top. After that night, I bought Geyser Peak wines at every opportunity until they priced themselves out of my budget. I'm glad for the folks who own the winery, but I'm pretty bitter over the fact that they got "discovered" so soon.

ahh---Strawberry Fields

(now that I think about it--I wouldn't even call it wine)

turbo-1 said:

Yep, it's so disappointing when you find a really inexpensive but incredibly tasty wine and in a few years and a few good reviews later, you can't afford it anymore (or only an occasional bottle for a really special occasion).

I've learned that if I find something at a good price and like it, buy a case.

Tom Mattson said:
There is smoked gouda at all of my parties. :approve:

And you still have friends? Tom how can you eat that stuff.

Cause it's really tasty? :confused:

wolram said:
Yes i think that is generous enough if not a bit over the top, but this lot would eat a field of turnips and drain a horse trough, and want rhubarb and custard for afters.

Hmm...perhaps allocate a portion of the budget to an inexpensive cheese spread and some good, but cheap, bread to spread it on to fill them up before they break the bank!

Moonbear said:
Yep, it's so disappointing when you find a really inexpensive but incredibly tasty wine and in a few years and a few good reviews later, you can't afford it anymore (or only an occasional bottle for a really special occasion).

I've learned that if I find something at a good price and like it, buy a case.

You must have a big house or storage MoonB.But i like your style.

Last edited:
tap a keg of Guinness

wolram said:
You must have a big house or storage MoonB.

It's not small, but I don't do that very often. When I buy a more permanent house, I'll create a small wine cellar and then really start working on stocking it. It doesn't take up much space to put the wines up in racks along the walls in a basement...a lot of that space goes unused anyway. My current house doesn't have a good place to store wine, so I just have to drink it. :biggrin: In my previous house, I had a laundry room in the basement, and a few old kitchen cabinets up on the walls for storage in that room...I used half for wine storage and half for all the partial paint cans for touch up jobs.

Tom Mattson said:
Cause it's really tasty? :confused:

But it is akin to edam that has suffered fire damage.

:rofl: It's not burnt, it's smoked. Where I buy it, it's applewood smoked.

What do you guys do over there, put it on a stick and hold it over a fire?

Ok apart from some distractions i am getting a picture, (Tom and and gouda) what ever next
Or DO some people like that stuff?

I like smoked sharp cheddar

wolram said:
Ok apart from some distractions i am getting a picture, (Tom and and gouda) what ever next
Or DO some people like that stuff?

I like smoked gouda too, but only in small doses. It can get overwhelming if I eat too much.

Grrrrr, now every body is going off in tangents, i need suggestions for country folk, not some ancients who lived in smoked filled huts and had to endure contaminated food.

A Keg Of Guinness

rewebster said:
A Keg Of Guinness
And a wheel of sharp cheddar and some bland crackers.

turbo-1 said:
And a wheel of sharp cheddar and some bland crackers.

smoked sharp cheddar

rewebster said:
A Keg Of Guinness

Hopeless i knew the riff raff would gate crash, ok guys bawd it up.

wolram said:
Hopeless i knew the riff raff would gate crash, ok guys bawd it up.

you mean, there's going to be bawding going on at the party?