What are the best accompaniments for a delicious cheese and wine pairing?

• Thread starter humanino
  • Start date
In summary: Then Tsu discovered that it is best to let the cheese reach room temp before eating it. It helps to make the flavor even...
humanino
Tsu said:
humanino -

I ATE your Belgian chocolates. :approve:

You waited too long to collect them.
I will have to come over with french smelly cheese then :devil:
I have a good bottle of yellow wine 1995 here

Physics news on Phys.org

humanino said:
I will have to come over with french smelly cheese then :devil:

My cousin lives in France and turns his nose up at just about anything American, but even he was impressed with a local delicacy of ours. You got to love a good strong cheese.

http://www.tillamookcheese.com/files/Images/Products/MainImage/Special_Reserve_XS_2lb_rBST_Main_258.jpg

We don't have yellow wine, but I have seen yellow snow.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ivan Seeking said:
My cousin lives in France and turns his nose up at just about anything American, but even he was impressed with a local delicacy of ours. You got to love a good strong cheese.

http://www.tillamookcheese.com/files/Images/Products/MainImage/Special_Reserve_XS_2lb_rBST_Main_258.jpg

We don't have yellow wine, but I have seen yellow snow.
I have not see that one, Ivan, but the local Associated Grocers stores get wheels of extra-sharp Vermont Cheddar that is locally called "rat cheese" and they cut it and repackage it for sale. It is the most glorious cheese ever, and I cannot imagine having home-made macaroni and cheese (with Saltine crust) made with anything else. (Actually, I can, but it is not a real happy fantasy...)

turbo-1 said:
I have not see that one, Ivan, but the local Associated Grocers stores get wheels of extra-sharp Vermont Cheddar that is locally called "rat cheese" and they cut it and repackage it for sale. It is the most glorious cheese ever, and I cannot imagine having home-made macaroni and cheese (with Saltine crust) made with anything else. (Actually, I can, but it is not a real happy fantasy...)

I make nachos with Tillamook black label that melt in your mouth. Add lots of red pepper, a light even coating of chili powder, a bit of cumin and oregano, plenty of garlic and onions, and as much salt as the cardiologist will allow. With some dark-yellow tortilla shells cooked just right, it is perfection. It only took twenty years to get it right... and the black label sharp was the kill shot.

I will check-out the rat cheese - got to love a good strong cheese! I think the Tillamook is pretty limited in distribution, but anymore you can get pretty much anything you want online.

Last edited:
We locals call it rat cheese. The AG stores probably call it Vermont extra-sharp cheddar or something similar. They have been getting wheels of this cheese for at least 50 years, and as little as 25 years ago, such wheels were a focal-point of these small stores. You'd park your cart or basket off to the side, pick off the cover of this large room-temperature-stored mass of cheese, pick up the knife on the side and cut off a big wedge of this glorious stuff to take home. No steenkin' deli for us!

Haha, french cheese and wine for Tillamook. I mean while Tillamook cheese is pretty damn tasty, I just don't think its fair.

binzing said:
Haha, french cheese and wine for Tillamook. I mean while Tillamook cheese is pretty damn tasty, I just don't think its fair.

Oh, I think the black label would be competitive anywhere. Great stuff!

Heard at a farm market in Yorkshire
France - there is a decent hard cheese in the whole country!

Though my cheese tasting is unfortunately very limited so far my fav. is Edam.

binzing said:

Edam isn't cheese (apologies to any dutch present) !
It's like saying Hershey kisses are chocolate

Lol.

binzing said:
Edam is the one "cheese" that may be approximated by adulturation of tofu (with enough additives to gull the gullible). Crap.

I didn't think I'd ever eaten a really strong cheese, but I've had extra sharp cheddar. I didn't know that counted. It doesn't smell like feet though so does it count?

I was checking the Tillamook website and found this, which I promptly ordered; not available until Feb 6th and I would bet it will sell-out fast. I don't know if Tsu will let me make nachos with this one though. :uhh:

http://store.tillamookcheese.com/Assets/ProductImages/100th_anniversary_wheel.jpg

Aged three years!

BTW Feb 6, when that is available also happens to be my birthday. In case you wanted to send me some nachos.

We got our cheese yesterday. Wow! That is DEFINITELY the sharpest cheddar that I have ever had. It is wonderful.

Then Tsu discovered that it is best to let the cheese reach room temp before eating it. It helps to make the flavor even stronger.

What is the relationship between cheese and wine?

Cheese and wine are often served together because they complement each other's flavors. The tannins in wine interact with the fats in cheese, creating a harmonious taste experience.

What types of cheese go well with red wine?

Hard, aged cheeses like cheddar, gouda, and parmesan are great choices to pair with red wine. The bold flavors of the cheese can stand up to the tannins in the wine.

Are there any cheese and wine combinations that should be avoided?

It is generally recommended to avoid pairing strong, pungent cheeses with delicate wines as the flavors may clash. Examples include heavily smoked cheeses with light white wines or blue cheese with sweet dessert wines.

How should cheese and wine be served?

Cheese and wine should be served at room temperature. This allows the flavors to fully develop and be enjoyed at their best. It is also important to pair the right type of glass with the wine, such as a narrow glass for white wines and a wider glass for red wines.

Can non-alcoholic beverages be paired with cheese?

Yes, non-alcoholic beverages such as sparkling water or fruit juice can also be paired with cheese. It is important to consider the flavors and acidity of the beverage when choosing a cheese to pair it with.