1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Hot tubs and hyperbolic curves

1. Nov 25, 2017 #1

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I am filling my circular hottub, and charting the water level height. Its sides have a small, constant slope from vertical - i.e. it is a truncated, inverted cone.

Imagining an ideal hottub of unlimited height*, the water level will always be increasing - but at a decreasing rate - it will level off more and more over time.

So it can't be an asymptote, since it will never reach a limit. Then again, it will also never stop curving.

What is this curve?

*OK, that's not an ideal hottub in my eyes. Easy to drown.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2017 #2

jack action

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Isn't it ##y = x^2##?

By mixing ideal hot tubs and physics, I thought this thread would've been about time travelling:

tMWNhMC00ZTA1LTkwYTgtMmQ2ZjVhY2I5YjhjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTIzOTk5ODM@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,1332,1000_AL_.jpg

4. Nov 25, 2017 #3

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Definitely not.
    The rate of height increase decreases. (i.e. it will tend toward horizontal over time)

When the water level is a mere one foot, the surface area is quite small, so with constant inflow, the height increases rapidly.
    When the water level is a hundred feet, the hot tub has a surface area much larger, thus a constant flow of water takes a long time to raise the level even a little bit. So the height increases very slowly.

The rate of height increase will drop off over time. But it never zeroes out.

hottub.png

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
  5. Nov 25, 2017 #4

jack action

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I misunderstood the question, I'll try again with the square root instead:

$$y = \max\left(0; \sqrt{x} - \frac{a}{2} \right)$$

Where ##a## is the width of the base of your truncated "cone".

6. Nov 25, 2017 #5

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Hey Dave,

After an infinitesimal time dt, the level will rise by dh with surface area of ##A=C\pi h^2##, where ##C## is some constant.
    The change in volume is ##dV=A\,dh##.
    Therefore the volumetric flow rate ##Q## that is presumably constant, is:
    $$Q = \frac{dV}{dt} = \frac{Adh}{dt}=C\pi h^2 \frac{dh}{dt}$$
    Integrate to find:
    $$Qt=V=\frac {C\pi}{3}h^3$$
    Solving for ##h##:
    $$h = \sqrt[3]{\frac{3Q}{C\pi}}\sqrt[3]t$$

7. Nov 25, 2017 #6

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Wouldn't you sort of need to know the angle of the walls to have a meaningful calculation?
    Highly vertical walls would have a very different rate of leveling than nearly horizontal walls, so it's gotta be a factor.

Or was that intended as a proportional formula?

8. Nov 25, 2017 #7

DaveC426913

Gold Member

So, what kind of curve is it?
    Logarithmic?

I guess it's that cube root that dictates the curve's nature.

9. Nov 25, 2017 #8

I like Serena

Homework Helper

It's a third root curve ##h \propto \sqrt[3] t##.
    It rises faster than logarithmic.
    In a semi-log plot, we'll get a straight line.

10. Nov 25, 2017 #9

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

[Lots of traffic between when I started to compose this and when I hit post]
    Let us begin by transforming the problem slightly. Instead of a truncated cone, use a sharp-tipped cone. Now the volume of the fluid in the cone is proportional to the cube of the height and is also a linear multiple of elapsed time. If you insist on setting t=0 to the time when the water level hits some predetermined truncation point, that is a simple offset to the result.$$h(t)=k\sqrt[3]{t}$$ for some constant k that depends on cone angle and fill rate.$$h'(t)=kt^{-\frac{2}{3}}$$ for some [different] constant k [a factor of three smaller] that depends on cone angle and fill rate.

11. Nov 25, 2017 #10

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Oh.

*click*

A linear dimension will vary as the cube root of a volume.
    So, height is rising as the cube root of the volume of the filled portion of the tub.

The angle of the slope simply adds a multiplier. (If angle is 0, multiplier is one.)

That's so ... basic.

: ancient gears start to grind :

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted