House votes down bail-out package

• News
  • Thread starter Art
  • Start date
In summary, a Republican sponsored bill, supported by most Democrats, was voted down by Republicans. There are several possible motivations for the opposing votes, including partisanship, concerns for Wall Street, or a combination of both. Some Republicans may have voted against the bill on principle or as a strategic move with the upcoming elections in mind. Others may have been influenced by their strained relationship with their presidential candidate. Ultimately, the bill did not pass and many are glad that it didn't, as they believe the proposed bailout was misguided and a better solution can be found. Both Republicans and Democrats are seen as co-dependents in the current situation.
mgb_phys said:
The US government is taking time off because it's Ramadan - how culturally sensitive of them.
It's for the Jewish holiday of Rosh Hashanah when no work is supposed to be done. It celebrates the anniversary of the creation of Adam and Eve.

Physics news on Phys.org
Art said:
It's for the Jewish holiday of Rosh Hashanah when no work is supposed to be done.
I know, I thought it was ironic that an instution famously consisting of white protestants should honour another religion like that and wondered why they picked one middle eastern religion and not the other other one.

Following yesterday's bailouts European gov'ts had to step in again today, this time to rescue the Franco-Belgian financial services group, Dexia, at a cost of more than $9bn.

mgb_phys said:
I know, I thought it was ironic that an instution famously consisting of white protestants should honour another religion like that and wondered why they picked one middle eastern religion and not the other other one.
Good point. You would expect them to pick a European religion like Christianity.

mgb_phys said:
Probably a lot of creationists amongst all those Republicans?

The only thing these Communists are missing is a dozen votes in Congress. They didn't pass the bill this time because their constituents don't want it, and they won't ignore their constituents this close to election day. Unless the price is right. The folks in Congress are cheap whores and can be had for a slice of pork. I expect the next version of the bill to pass with 12 riders.

The bill, with an amendment increasing the sum insured by the Fed for savers to $250K, will be voted on in the Senate tomorrow.

Well it's passed the Senate and by a big majority,
US Senate backs new bail-out bill

The Senate has approved a new version of a $700bn (£380bn) rescue plan for the troubled US financial system.

Senators voted 74 to 25 in favour of the emergency legislation designed to stabilise volatile markets and limit further damage to the economy.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7647622.stm

Now will the lower house pass it? The difference seems to be there are relatively few senators up for re-election in Nov.

Art said:
Well it's passed the Senate and by a big majority, http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7647622.stm

Now will the lower house pass it? The difference seems to be there are relatively few senators up for re-election in Nov.
Only 1/3 of Senators are up for re-election every two years. The term of a senator is 6 years, while a Congressperson must face re-election every 2 years.

So 8% of those facing re-election voted FOR or they are retiring anyway.