Household liquids with low surface tension?

In summary, the conversation revolved around the search for household liquids with a low surface tension, specifically in the mid to low 20's mN/m or less. Soap water, alcohol, and olive oil were mentioned as options, but the suggestion of Sodium Silicate, also known as "liquid glass," was brought up as well. It should be noted that Sodium Silicate is not a kitchen or cooking liquid and has a mildly caustic nature, so caution should be exercised when handling it.
eberg
I'm looking for household liquids, preferable kitchen/cooking liquids with a low surface tension. I know of soap water, alcohol, and found olive oil. Any other ideas would be appreciated. I'm looking for something in the mid to low 20's mN/m or less.

Thanks,
-Eric

Physics news on Phys.org
I had the opportunity to visit a PQ Corporation facility in Utica, Il. recently. They manufacture "liquid glass" --> Sodium Silicate. Sodium Silicate is surfactant ie. lowers surface tension in liquids. Please note Sodium Silicate is NOT a "kitchen/cooking" liquid and is mildly caustic. Exercise care if this is something you're looking for and happen to get your hands on.

There are several other household liquids that have low surface tension and fall within the mid to low 20's mN/m range. These include vinegar, lemon juice, and some types of cooking oils such as canola oil and corn oil. Additionally, some cleaning products such as ammonia and window cleaner also have low surface tension. It is important to note that the surface tension of a liquid can vary depending on its temperature and the presence of other substances, so it is always best to measure the surface tension of a specific liquid before using it in an experiment. I hope this helps in your research.

1. What are some examples of household liquids with low surface tension?

Some examples of household liquids with low surface tension include water, rubbing alcohol, vinegar, and dish soap.

2. How does low surface tension affect the way liquids behave?

Liquids with low surface tension tend to spread out and cling to surfaces, making them useful for cleaning and other household tasks. They also have a tendency to form thin films, which can be seen in soap bubbles and droplets of water on a surface.

3. What is the role of surface tension in household liquids?

Surface tension is the force that allows liquids to stick together and form a surface. In household liquids, low surface tension helps to break up dirt and grease, making them effective for cleaning. It also allows for liquids to spread evenly and cover a larger surface area.

4. How can you measure the surface tension of household liquids?

The surface tension of a liquid can be measured using a capillary tube and a surface tensiometer. The capillary tube is filled with the liquid and inserted into the tensiometer, which measures the force required to pull the liquid out of the tube. The lower the force, the lower the surface tension.

5. Are there any safety concerns with household liquids with low surface tension?

While household liquids with low surface tension are generally safe to use, some may be harmful if ingested or inhaled. It is important to always read and follow the instructions on the label, and to keep these liquids out of reach of children and pets.