1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How and where do I catch up on high school physics?

1. Dec 17, 2015 #1
    I'm new to this site. I don't know if this question even fits here, but here goes. So I want to learn physics, but my problem is I have very little to no knowledge on it. I am currently in 10th grade. I'm trying to understand what the teacher is talking about, but I'm having a very hard time. I think I understand the theory somewhat. My question would be How and where (as in a website) can I learn high school level physics? Preferably online. It's so much easier learning on my own for me. I would like to learn physics pretty much from scratch. It sounds really interesting and I'd like to learn more about it, but don't know where to start. I found MIT courses, unfortunately they are for undergraduates (we call it baccalaureate in my country). Are there any books or online courses I could start with?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 17, 2015 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

4. Dec 17, 2015 #3
    Thank you! I will try it out :)

5. Dec 17, 2015 #4

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

What are your school choice options? Learn Mathematics and Physics if you are still in high school. If out of high school now, then attend a community college and study Mathematics and Physics - you will be able to catch-up at a community college.

--Tenth grade now - You have two more years. Be sure to study Algebra 1, and either do Geometry OR Algebra 2 in your last year. Next step will be continue this at a community college; or if you become qualified and attend a university, continue THERE. Be aware that Algebra 1, Algebra 2, Geometry are all remedial if they are offered at a university or community college. If you are deficient in them, then YOU STILL NEEEEEDDD them.

6. Dec 18, 2015 #5
    I'm in a similar situation to you. I've been learning about physics and space for the past 2 years or so now simply by just reading articles online, and watching videos. The amount I have learned is fascinating, however there's still mountains more to learn. What kind of physics are you interested in learning and what don't you get? If you're having trouble on something, searching up the topic on Google is surprisingly a huge help. That's where I get a lot of my information, from reliable sources of course.

7. Dec 18, 2015 #6
    I usually try to look up things I don't know about, but the problem is localisation? I am not sure that's the right word to use. I live in a European country. Some symbols that are used in my text book are completely different from what I find on the internet. Also a HUGE obstacle in school (physics class), is what I would call a "difficult work environment". Classmates constantly talk, almost shout, throw paper balls at each other etc. It's very hard to hear what the teacher is saying let alone concentrate on the subject. Another reason as to why I would prefer learning online, by myself.

Evo (sorry, I don't know how or if you can tag people) suggested Khanacademy.org . I'll be trying it out for now :)

8. Dec 18, 2015 #7
    If everything goes by plan, I will be studying programming in a university. I do believe some courses require you to have decent knowledge in physics, which is one of the reasons why I'm trying to learn it. But personally, I want to understand how things work. Why things behave the way they behave. I believe physics answers a lot of those questions :) And now that I think about it, programming doesn't really answer those kinds of questions..

Anyways, thank you for your answer :)

9. Dec 18, 2015 #8
    I have three friends who went to community college for programming before going to a 4-year school and they all came to me for tutoring in physics while they were there. It's a great place to get a feel for it while you're taking CS courses. The course they usually ask you to take as a first physics course is equivalent to AP Physics 1. But if you want to just get a feel for it, look up Walter Lewin's lectures on youtube. He was an MIT professor (accused creeper but w/e) who is renowned as one of the best teachers out there. Don't stress the equations or the fact that it's a college course scare you, just watch his demonstrations to get an idea of the concepts (they are all relevant to your course) and let the awesomesauce flow through you.

Also don't count out programming as a way to understand nature just because there's no equivalent of unified field theory in it. There are some deep questions in nature that programming will eventually solve and those can be just as illuminating as an answer to a physics problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook