How are Electromagnetic signals specified?

In summary, electromagnetic waves can be modified in terms of their wavelength and amplitude. Different types of devices usually have different frequencies, while devices of the same type can have the same frequency but with different codes. It is rare to use a single frequency transmission, as it is more common to use digital modulation for efficiency. Nowadays, controllers use a single frequency and a set of digital codes to operate specific target systems without interference from other controllers.
jaydnul
I mean, what all can you modify in an electromagnetic wave? Wavelength and amplitude right? So, for example, why does my garage opener open my garage door and not my neighbor's? Does every single wireless device have its own specified wavelength that is just fractions of meter off from others?

Physics news on Phys.org
Different types of devices usually have different frequencies (=different wavelengths). Different devices of the same type can have the same frequency: with amplitude modulations, you can transmit a lot of data (like a code to open a specific garage), so multiple devices at the same frequency can still work, if they don't send at the same time at the same location.

lundyjb said:
I mean, what all can you modify in an electromagnetic wave? Wavelength and amplitude right? So, for example, why does my garage opener open my garage door and not my neighbor's? Does every single wireless device have its own specified wavelength that is just fractions of meter off from others?
It is rare to use a single frequency (CW, or Carrier Wave) transmission because it does not carry any information (other than the fact that the transmitter is switched on). It is normal to 'Modulate' a Carrier Wave with information - such as TV signals, Sound signals or data. There are many different ways of modulating a CW to carry such information. Amplitude and Frequency Modulation were all that was available until quite recently but nowadays, it is much more efficient use of spectrum space to use digital modulation and there are a myriad systems for this.
At one time, in history, such devices would have been operated at a number of different frequencies but nowadays it is more common to use just a single frequency and a set of digital codes, transmitted on identical frequencies from all controllers but each code applies to just one target system. The codes are complicated enough not to risk chance operation by a different controller. Interference between controllers would not matter as they are only operated in short bursts.

What is an electromagnetic signal?

An electromagnetic signal is a type of electromagnetic radiation that carries energy in the form of waves. It can be described as a combination of electric and magnetic fields that propagate through space at the speed of light.

How are electromagnetic signals specified?

Electromagnetic signals are specified by their frequency, wavelength, and amplitude. Frequency refers to the number of complete cycles of the wave that occur in one second, measured in hertz (Hz). Wavelength is the distance between two successive peaks of the wave, measured in meters (m). Amplitude is the maximum displacement of the wave from its equilibrium position, measured in volts (V).

What are the different types of electromagnetic signals?

There are various types of electromagnetic signals, including radio waves, microwaves, infrared radiation, visible light, ultraviolet radiation, X-rays, and gamma rays. Each type has a different frequency and wavelength, which determines its properties and potential uses.

How are electromagnetic signals used in technology?

Electromagnetic signals have a wide range of applications in technology, such as in communication, navigation, imaging, and energy production. For example, radio waves are used in radio and television broadcasting, microwaves are used in cell phones and Wi-Fi, and X-rays are used in medical imaging.

What is the relationship between electromagnetic signals and the electromagnetic spectrum?

The electromagnetic spectrum is a range of all possible frequencies of electromagnetic radiation, from low frequency radio waves to high frequency gamma rays. Electromagnetic signals fall within this spectrum, with each type of signal corresponding to a specific frequency and wavelength. The spectrum is important in understanding the properties and behaviors of electromagnetic radiation and how it can be utilized.