Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Monitor restarts when I make an electric arc

  1. May 15, 2018 #1
    Why does my laptop's screen refresh every time I bring a metal object (any size) to my electric lighter?
    -Happens when I am 1 foot away from the laptop
    -1 foot away from the external monitor's wires (HDMI & power)

    1. Video footage (MUST WATCH)
    NOTE: the laptop screen also flickers a bit
    NOTE: just normally turning on the lighter does not interrupt my display devices
    2. The Elelctric Lighter
    NOTE: There are two small magnets besides the arc rods
    3. The HDMI cable and port
    4. My external monitor's power and HDMI cables
    NOTE: making the arc beside them also refreshes the screen

    To my knowledge this is creating an electromagnetic pulse and perhaps disrupting some flow of electricity, which causes the graphics card some trouble. Am I right? What more is there to this? How dangerous is it?

    Last edited: May 15, 2018
  2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2018 #2


    Staff: Mentor

    It seems obvious to me at least that you don't use high voltage electrical stuff near your computer, that something bad is going to happen. You mention magnets, electric discharge and bringing the phenomena near the display and near the HDMIcables. This suggests a surge protector is needed if you don't want to fry your ports.

    It also reminds me of how as kids we'd bring magnets near our old cathode ray tube TVs to see the beam deflect and then get yelled at by our parents for ruining the screen as sometimes there'd be after-effects.

    I think its dangerous for your computer if you haven't gotten shocked by your setup already. Anytime, something electrical causes the computer screen to flicker then you know there's a surge going on or a brownout if not a blackout and things like this can cause problems with your computer from loss of data on a hard disk to fried ports or system board depending on how bad the discharge is and whether things are properly grounded.

    Try buying a surge protector and see if it prevents the issue.

    Remember a changing electric discharge can produce a current in the wires leading to your computer causing a surge that can fry stuff.


    Lastly, sparks can burn people, sparks can cause fires and sparks can fry computer components so be safe and be careful and know where your ER or UC facilities are.

    Closing thread as I think we've covered everything.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook