1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How are even and odd functions defined in n-dimensions?

1. Feb 11, 2013 #1
    How are even and odd functions defined in n-dimensions?

In my homework, we had to integrate f(x,y,z)= (x^2)z + (y^2)z + z^3 over a sphere centered at the origin. My answer came out to be 0 and I made the guess that it might be because f(x,y,z) was an odd function. Now, I don't know if this is true. Does this assumption hold:

f(x) is odd if f(-x) = -f(x)
    f(x,y,z) is odd if f(-x,-y,-z) = -f(x,y,z) ?

I'm thinking this might just mean it's odd across a plane.I just handed in my assignment and will have to wait 2 weeks before I know if what I did was right or wrong, so I'm asking here to speed things up!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2013 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm not sure about whether we refer to functions of more than one variable as even or odd in an overall sense, although I doubt that we do.

However, it's common to refer to a function of more than one variable as being even or odd with respect to an individual variable.

Factor z out of your function: f(x, y, z) = z(x2 + y2 + z2) .

4. Feb 12, 2013 #3

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

The parity transformation takes (x,y,z) to (-x,-y,-z). It's common to say f has even or odd parity if f(-x,-y,-z) is equal to, respectively, f(x,y,z) or -f(x,y,z). But as SammyS noted, when you have more than one variable, it's ambiguous if all you say is "f is odd." You should specify under what type of transformation is the function odd.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  5. Feb 12, 2013 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Since the region of integration is symmetric in all three coordinates, the integral will be zero if the function is odd wrt any of the three.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook