How are Resistance, Capacitance and Time related?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of time constant in relation to resistance and capacitance in an RC circuit. The time constant is represented by [tau] and is equal to RC. As time increases, the capacitance increases exponentially according to a specific equation. In an RC circuit, the voltage across the resistor decreases as the voltage across the capacitor increases.
Sociopath^e
without revealing any sort of base info such as current, voltage or charge

Engineering news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Sociopath^e
without revealing any sort of base info such as current, voltage or charge

That's like asking to drink something that isn't a liquid.

well it doesn't matter, i found out in the end, i meant time *constant*
so its τ = RC

well since I am new here and I feel like a peon compared to some of the genius minds here, I'll explain some more about resistance, capacitance, and time because its something I actually understand!

[tau] = RC you knew that.. but 5 * the time constant of the circuit is considered the "steady state" in which a capacitor doesn't charge anymore.

As time increases, the capacitance increases exponentially according to a certain equation: Vc(t) = Vf( 1 - (e^-t/[tau]) ) where Vf is the total voltage, t is the time in which you would like to observe the voltage "on" the capacitor, and [tau] is the time constant.

since an RC circuit is (when reduced according to Thevenin for all of you critics, hehe ) a series circuit, the voltage across the resistor will be the total votage minus the voltage across the capacitor at that time, so as the voltage across the capacitor rises, the voltage across the resistor falls.

Probably more than you wanted to know, but hey I figured I might as well make a good impression, because I'll probably be sounding like a jackass rather soon.

time constant is appliable to condensators and other fields of el. engineering, but it doesn't reveal whole RCT function.

1. How does resistance affect capacitance and time?

Resistance and capacitance are inversely related, meaning that as resistance increases, capacitance decreases. This is because resistance limits the flow of current, causing the capacitor to charge more slowly, thus increasing the time it takes to fully charge.

2. What is the equation that relates resistance, capacitance, and time?

The equation is t = RC, where t is the time it takes for a capacitor to fully charge, R is the resistance in ohms, and C is the capacitance in farads.

3. How does the size of the capacitor affect the relationship between resistance, capacitance, and time?

The larger the size of the capacitor, the greater the capacitance and the longer it takes to charge. This means that for a given resistance, a larger capacitor will have a longer charging time compared to a smaller capacitor.

4. How is the relationship between resistance, capacitance, and time affected by the type of material used in the capacitor?

The type of material used in the capacitor can affect the capacitance and therefore, the relationship between resistance, capacitance, and time. For example, a ceramic capacitor will have a higher capacitance compared to a film capacitor of the same size, resulting in a longer charging time.

5. What is the significance of understanding the relationship between resistance, capacitance, and time?

Understanding this relationship is important in designing circuits and electronic devices. It allows engineers to control the charging and discharging times of capacitors, which is crucial in various applications such as in filters, time delay circuits, and energy storage systems.