Capacitance vs. Resistance Proof

In summary, the conversation discusses using a wye-delta transformation on capacitors to solve for equivalent capacitance. The conversation also mentions finding capacitance in terms of resistance and the use of a time constant to do so. It is noted that there may be a contradiction in the integration and the assumption of V as a constant with time.
checkmatechamp
Can somebody confirm if this is correct? I'm trying to use a wye-delta transformation on capacitors to solve for equivalent capacitance, but to be super-precise, I want to put capacitance in terms of resistance.

I = C*(dV/dt)
V = IR, so I = V/R

V/R = C*(dV/dt)

(V*dt) = R*C* dV

Integrate both sides.

V*t = R*C*V

t = R*C which means that R = t/C

That makes sense, since people talk about a time constant, but I just want to be sure.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You need to specify the circuit ...

Note:
Your integration assumes that V is a constant with time, but your first equation assumes that dV/dt is not zero, therefore V does vary with time. This is a contradiction (unless I=0). Try using lower case for variable voltages and currents.

What is capacitance?

Capacitance is the ability of a component or system to store an electrical charge.

What is resistance?

Resistance is the measure of how much a component or system impedes the flow of electrical current.

What is the difference between capacitance and resistance?

Capacitance and resistance are two different electrical properties. Capacitance relates to the ability to store charge, while resistance relates to the flow of current.

How are capacitance and resistance measured?

Capacitance is measured in farads (F), while resistance is measured in ohms (Ω). Both can be measured using specialized equipment such as an ohmmeter or a multimeter.

What is the importance of understanding the difference between capacitance and resistance?

Understanding the difference between capacitance and resistance is crucial in designing and troubleshooting electrical circuits. Knowing the properties of these two components can help determine the behavior and efficiency of a system.