How Are the Currents in a Solenoid and a Loop Related in a Current Balance?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
Linday12
Messages
53
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


I'm doing an assignment involving a current balance, and the one thing I don't understand is the currents.

I have two separate currents, one labeled "Current in Solenoid" and another labeled "Current in Loop".

Now, I know the current in the loop is the part that causes the magnetic field, and the current and the magnetic field cause the force downward that balances the weight on the other end (Fm=ILB), but what is the current in the solenoid indicate (what are these two currents relationships to each other?).

If anyone can help nudge me in the right direction on this, it would be highly appreciated. Thank you!

Homework Equations


Fm=ILB, Fg=Fm
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Linday12 said:

Homework Statement


I'm doing an assignment involving a current balance, and the one thing I don't understand is the currents.

I have two separate currents, one labeled "Current in Solenoid" and another labeled "Current in Loop".

Now, I know the current in the loop is the part that causes the magnetic field, and the current and the magnetic field cause the force downward that balances the weight on the other end (Fm=ILB), but what is the current in the solenoid indicate (what are these two currents relationships to each other?).

If anyone can help nudge me in the right direction on this, it would be highly appreciated. Thank you!



Homework Equations


Fm=ILB, Fg=Fm

I am not sure what the exact setup is, but if you want a magnetic force between two wires, there must be some current in both of them. I am guessing that your solenoid is probably the source of the magnetic field and this magnetic field creates a magnetic force on the other loop. If there was only a current in the solenoid or only in th eloop, there would be no force