Balancing Magnetic & Gravitational Forces: A Current-Balance Investigation

In summary, the conversation discusses a current-balance investigation involving a loop of wire and a solenoid generating a magnetic field. The goal is to find the magnetic force on the loop to balance the gravitational force on the string. The formula Fm=ILB or Fm=qvB is mentioned, but the current and magnitude of the magnetic field are unknown. The conversation also mentions using amperes circuital law to find the magnetic field, but the current running through the solenoid is not known. The use of \LaTeX to display fancy symbols and formulas is also mentioned.
Kylah
1. The following information describes a current-balance investigation. The current in the solenoid that generates the magnetic field was held constant and the length of wire in the end of the loop in the field was 0.050 m long.
i168.photobucket.com/albums/u173/pleasetheworld/p3.jpg

a) Calculate the magnetic force on the end of the loop to balance the gravitational force on the string. Record the values in the data chart.
i168.photobucket.com/albums/u173/pleasetheworld/p4.jpg

Okay, I understand that Fm=ILB or Fm=qvB, but I'm not sure how to find the magnetic force if I don't know the current or magnitude of the magnetic field. I'm assuming I have to find the force of gravity, but I'm not sure where to go from there. I'm sure I can figure out the rest of the question (finding the magnetic field, graphing, etc.) if I can get past part a. If somebody could help me out with the first part I would really appreciate it. I just need an idea as to what formula to use (or how to adapt it to fit the question.)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Haven't looked at the pictures but it seems to me that there is some loop / wire with some current that is being held up by a magnetic field?
Seems to me all you have to do is balance the magnetic force (which you have wrote down) with the gravitational force (I assume you know the mass of the loop/wire being help up?).
From that, you can find B.

This is my first post, so I am sorry that I cannot provied fancy symbols and formulas I have seen others use.(Help would be appreciated on this)

The magnetic field inside the solenoid is B = (mu0)(Number of loops per unit length)(Current) which is found using amperes circuital law.

I think the topic starter realizes that, but he says he does not know the current that runs through the solenoid, so you cannot find B from that...

Also, the fancy symbols and formulas are made using [tex]\LaTeX[/tex]. Look it up on this forum, there is a help thread for it. Also, you can click on any formula and it will show you how you can make it.

Related to Balancing Magnetic & Gravitational Forces: A Current-Balance Investigation

1. What is the purpose of balancing magnetic and gravitational forces in this investigation?

The purpose of balancing magnetic and gravitational forces is to determine the relationship between these two fundamental forces and how they affect the behavior of objects. This investigation allows us to understand the principles of magnetism and gravity and how they interact with each other.

2. How is the current-balance method used in this investigation?

The current-balance method is used to measure the strength of magnetic and gravitational forces. It involves suspending a magnet and a test object on opposite ends of a balanced beam. By adjusting the current flowing through the wire of one of the magnets, the balance between magnetic and gravitational forces can be achieved.

3. What are the possible outcomes of this investigation?

The possible outcomes of this investigation include discovering the relationship between magnetic and gravitational forces, determining the strength of these forces, and observing how they change with different variables, such as the distance between the magnets or the mass of the test object.

4. How can the findings of this investigation be applied in real-world situations?

The findings of this investigation can be applied in various fields, including engineering, physics, and astronomy. Understanding the principles of magnetism and gravity can help in designing and building more efficient machines, predicting the behavior of celestial bodies, and developing new technologies.

5. What are the limitations of this current-balance investigation?

One limitation of this investigation is that it assumes a perfect balance between magnetic and gravitational forces. In reality, there may be other factors at play that could affect the results. Additionally, the sensitivity of the equipment used and external factors, such as electromagnetic interference, can also impact the accuracy of the measurements.