How does a current balance measure magnetic flux density?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
39 replies · 20K views
That's just the length of the wire inside the magnet right?

The answer's 0.0078 T.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If B = 0.0078 T, then L has to equal 0.503 m, and I really don't know how that's supposed to come about. Unless of course the decimal in 5.0 is a misprint.
 
came out write when I did it, just check over your arithmetics
 
Using 1.962x10-3 N for force, 0.50 A for current, and 5x10-2 m for length, I get 7.85x10-2 T, which isn't the right answer. :( How'd you get it right?
 
Haha, I took the 0.02 g correctly, I just didn't convert it correctly. Used x10-2, must've pressed the wrong button. Got the correct answer!

But does this mean that I'm supposed to use the length of the wire that only passes through the magnet? [because only that can obviously be 5 cm]
 
yes, this force is produce only when the current is under the influence of a magnetic field, so outside the magnetic field there isn't this type of force (sorry for not clarifying this earlier)
 
Right, right, and right. Thank you SO much for your help. Life saver!
Good day. :)