How can a black hole be created, any model

In summary, the conversation discusses the formation of black holes, specifically in a classical sense without considering quantum effects. The main conclusions are that there is a known dynamic model, the Oppenheimer-Snyder model, but it is not a realistic representation as real black holes have rotation and are not perfectly symmetric. The proper time to reach the singularity is finite and there is ongoing research on more realistic collapse scenarios. Some useful references and resources are provided for further study.
lalbatros
I would like to read an introduction text about how BH can be be formed, with a pure classical point of view (no quantum effects).

Is there some dynamic model of BH formation?
What are the main conclusions?
Is there a characteristic time for the appearance of a finite Scharchild radius? (as seen from far away from the BH)
Is there a known grow rate for some given initial mass density?

Or do these questions have little sense?

Any comment or refences welcome.

Physics news on Phys.org
Non-rotating spherically symmetric black hole collapse is discussed in the literature in http://prola.aps.org/abstract/PR/v56/i5/p455_1 (the Oppenheimer-Snyder model, this is the Oppenheimer-Snyder paper).

This is probably not how real black holes form, because they rotate, and because they won't have perfect spherical symmetry.

The same material is in MTW pg 851 $32.4. Highlights are that the interior solution is just like a Friedmann-Robertson-Walker cosmology, while the exterior solution is Schwarzschild. The proper time to reach the singularity is finite. There are some gif movies of this process and some discussion at http://casa.colorado.edu/~ajsh/collapse.html#collapse

I recall some online homework sets that discussed this problem as well, but I couldn't find them.

Realistic collapse is a lot more complicated, and is still under study. Do a search for "Poisson-Israel" for some discussion.

This looked pretty good, Lalbatros:

http://outreach.atnf.csiro.au/education/senior/astrophysics/stellarevolution_deathhigh.html

I would recommend you watch the "movie" if you haven't already before you start reading the text. IMHO the rotating material looks awfully like water going down a plughole! I'll check out the one pervect posted (thanks pervect} and if it's different I'll see if I can dig up the one I was looking at.

Edit: the one I was looking at last week isn't the one pervect posted. The collapsing material was coloured brown, and the rotation flattened it and threw it around. But darn, I can't find it. I'm at work so I'll have to go now. This one didn't work too well on my PC:

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/goddard/universe/swift_multimedia.html

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How is a black hole created?

Black holes are created when a large amount of matter is squeezed into a very small space, causing an extremely strong gravitational pull. This can happen when a massive star collapses in on itself, or when two smaller black holes merge together.

2. Can black holes be created artificially?

No, black holes cannot be created artificially. The immense amount of energy and force required to create a black hole is beyond our current technology.

3. What is the event horizon of a black hole?

The event horizon is the point of no return for anything that gets too close to a black hole. Once an object crosses the event horizon, it is pulled into the black hole and cannot escape.

4. Are there different types of black holes?

Yes, there are three main types of black holes: stellar black holes, intermediate black holes, and supermassive black holes. The type of black hole that forms depends on the mass of the collapsing star.

5. Is there any evidence for the existence of black holes?

Yes, there is strong evidence for the existence of black holes. Scientists have observed the effects of black holes on nearby stars and gas, and have also detected gravitational waves from black hole mergers. Additionally, the existence of supermassive black holes at the center of galaxies is supported by astronomical observations.