Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How can a black hole be created, any model

1. Jun 20, 2007 #1
    I would like to read an introduction text about how BH can be be formed, with a pure classical point of view (no quantum effects).

Is there some dynamic model of BH formation?
    What are the main conclusions?
    Is there a characteristic time for the appearance of a finite Scharchild radius? (as seen from far away from the BH)
    Is there a known grow rate for some given initial mass density?

Or do these questions have little sense?

Any comment or refences welcome.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Non-rotating spherically symmetric black hole collapse is discussed in the literature in http://prola.aps.org/abstract/PR/v56/i5/p455_1 (the Oppenheimer-Snyder model, this is the Oppenheimer-Snyder paper).

This is probably not how real black holes form, because they rotate, and because they won't have perfect spherical symmetry.

The same material is in MTW pg 851 $32.4. Highlights are that the interior solution is just like a Friedmann-Robertson-Walker cosmology, while the exterior solution is Schwarzschild. The proper time to reach the singularity is finite. There are some gif movies of this process and some discussion at http://casa.colorado.edu/~ajsh/collapse.html#collapse

I recall some online homework sets that discussed this problem as well, but I couldn't find them.

Realistic collapse is a lot more complicated, and is still under study. Do a search for "Poisson-Israel" for some discussion.
  4. Jun 21, 2007 #3
    This looked pretty good, Lalbatros:

I would recommend you watch the "movie" if you haven't already before you start reading the text. IMHO the rotating material looks awfully like water going down a plughole! I'll check out the one pervect posted (thanks pervect} and if it's different I'll see if I can dig up the one I was looking at.

Edit: the one I was looking at last week isn't the one pervect posted. The collapsing material was coloured brown, and the rotation flattened it and threw it around. But darn, I can't find it. I'm at work so I'll have to go now. This one didn't work too well on my PC:

Last edited: Jun 21, 2007
  5. Jun 21, 2007 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?