How can a temperature of 100 pK be measured?

• Thread starter martindrech
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Temperature
In summary: I'm more familiar with measurements in the μK range that were common 20-or-so years ago. I'm not 100% sure if they still work in the nK range -- I believe they do, or some variation of them -- but here is a brief explanation:After cooling and trapping atoms the optical trap is shut off, releasing the atoms that had been trapped. The collection of atoms then expands, owing to the different velocities of the atoms. Loosely speaking, the amount of expansion of this "cloud" of atoms is measured some time later. The expansion rate is a measure of the velocity distribution, from which the temperature can be inferred.For more details, Bill Phillips has
martindrech
I´ve read that a temperature of 100 pK has been reached by scientists. But how can they measure such a low temperature? And achieve that level of accuracy?

Physics news on Phys.org
Redbelly98 said:
I'm more familiar with measurements in the μK range that were common 20-or-so years ago. I'm not 100% sure if they still work in the nK range -- I believe they do, or some variation of them -- but here is a brief explanation:

After cooling and trapping atoms the optical trap is shut off, releasing the atoms that had been trapped. The collection of atoms then expands, owing to the different velocities of the atoms. Loosely speaking, the amount of expansion of this "cloud" of atoms is measured some time later. The expansion rate is a measure of the velocity distribution, from which the temperature can be inferred.

For more details, Bill Phillips has nicely described several methods, all relying on the expansion of atoms after shutting off the trap:
http://prl.aps.org/files/RevModPhys.70.721.pdf

One method described on p. 730 (p. 10 of the pdf file), in the paragraph that begins "Using the techniques for chirp cooling, ..."

A second method is described starting at the bottom of p. 731, in the paragraph that begins "In this time of flight (TOF) method,..."

Two more methods are described briefly, on p. 732, in the paragraph that begins "Another method was the 'fountain' technique..."

Hope that helps.
Hope this helps you as well.

Note that in this case they cooled down an old-fashioned lump of metal (Rhodium) using an old-fashioned dilfridge and (nuclear) adiabatic demagnetizatoin. Cooling atoms in an optical trap is a different ballgame.

The original publications seem to be these here (stupidly, there is no link to this on their web site!)

T. A. Knuuttila, J. T. Tuoriniemi, and K. Lefmann
Relaxation of Polarized Nuclei in Superconducting Rhodium
Phys. Rev. Lett. 85, 2573–2576 (2000)

http://prl.aps.org/abstract/PRL/v85/i12/p2573_1

J.T Tuoriniemi and T.A Knuuttila
Nuclear cooling and spin properties of rhodium down to picokelvin temperatures

Physica B: Condensed Matter
Volume 280, Issues 1–4, 11 May 2000, Pages 474–478

http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0921-4526(99)01839-6

From the second publication:
The first nuclear stage, a massive block of copper, acts as a thermal reservoir at about 100μK during initial polarization of the sample which is the second nuclear stage. The specimen is cooled further by adiabatically demagnetizing highly polarized spins at a rate which is fast in comparison to the spin-lattice relaxation time. Only the temperature of the nuclear spins is lowered, while the lattice and the conduction–electron system remains in thermal equilibrium with the first nuclear stage...

All thermodynamic quantities of the nuclear-spin system, polarization, entropy, temperature, etc., can easily be deduced from the NMR line at magnetic fields much higher than the internal fields representing the mutual interactions between the spins, i.e., in the ordinary paramagnetic state. The area of the absorption peak is proportional to the nuclear polarization, which can be used to calculate the other quantities of interest.

We made the polarization measurements on Rh at a frequency of 431 Hz, so that the resonance field was about 320 μT. The polarization scale was calibrated at relatively high temperatures between 0.3–1.5 mK, where the platinum-NMR thermometer on the copper-nuclear stage was still at very good thermal equilibrium with the sample. The highest polarization measured was p=0.86.

I just love the fact that they consider 0.3mK "relatively high temperature". Compared to 100pK it's almost tropical.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting, I did not realize condensed matter had been cooled down that low.

What is a temperature of 100 pK and why is it important to measure?

A temperature of 100 pK refers to 100 picokelvin, which is a unit of measurement for temperature that is equal to 0.0000000001 Kelvin. It is important to measure this temperature because it is extremely low and is often used in scientific research and experiments, especially in the field of quantum physics.

How is a temperature of 100 pK different from other temperature scales?

A temperature of 100 pK is much lower than temperatures typically encountered in everyday life. It is also significantly lower than other temperature scales, such as the Celsius or Fahrenheit scales. This temperature can only be accurately measured using specialized equipment and techniques.

What are the challenges in measuring a temperature of 100 pK?

Measuring a temperature of 100 pK presents several challenges. One of the main challenges is that at such low temperatures, even the slightest changes in temperature can have a significant impact. This means that the equipment used must be extremely precise and any external factors, such as vibrations or electromagnetic fields, must be minimized.

What techniques are used to measure a temperature of 100 pK?

There are several techniques that can be used to measure a temperature of 100 pK. These include using a dilution refrigerator, which is a specialized type of refrigerator that can reach extremely low temperatures. Another method is using a superconducting thermometer, which can accurately measure temperatures as low as 10 pK.

What applications rely on the accurate measurement of a temperature of 100 pK?

The accurate measurement of a temperature of 100 pK has many applications in scientific research and technology. It is often used in experiments involving superconductivity, quantum computing, and studies of the properties of matter at extremely low temperatures. It also has potential uses in fields such as astronomy, where it can help scientists better understand the properties of the universe.