Phase diagram of Carbon at large electric fields.

In summary, the conversation discusses the exploration of the phase diagram of carbon at high electric fields. The speaker is interested in the relationship between pressure and electric field, as well as electric field and temperature. They speculate that high electric fields may cause carbon to transition between conducting and resistive phases, and that at high pressures, carbon may melt and start to crystallize into diamond. The non-equilibrium nature of this problem is also mentioned, with the possibility of using a cooling mechanism to lower the temperature.
Prathyush
TL;DR Summary
What are the phases of carbon at large electric fields.
I am wondering if the phase diagram of Carbon has been explored at very large electric fields.

Can one make any theoretical guesses ?

In specific I am interested in Pressure Vs Electric field and Electric field vs Temperature at fixed temperature and pressure respectively.

Physics news on Phys.org
What makes you think that high electric fields would make a constructive difference ?

I would be surprised if carbon could exist for long in a high electrical field gradient.
As graphite it would conduct current and get hot due to W = I²R.
Any contamination of diamond would make it a semiconductor or resistor with a similar fate.
Carbon nanotubes or Fullerenes would probably not survive at high pressure.

Baluncore said:
What makes you think that high electric fields would make a constructive difference ?
I am at a very early stage of exploring this (and similar) questions. But my interest in this problem is to see if we can transition between conducting and resistive phases of carbon(or other material) by controlling electric fields.

My suspicion is that low resistance phase is unfavoured, and it will selectively crystalize into high resistance phase to minimize heat generated.

Baluncore said:
As graphite it would conduct current and get hot due to W = I²R.
At sufficiently high pressure, my guess is that carbon will melt and begin start a crystallization process into forming a diamond. This is indeed a non-equilibrium problem because of heat flow is involved. But I am imagining heat is being steadily pumped out of the system using some cooling mechanism to lower temperature.

Last edited:

1. What is a phase diagram?

A phase diagram is a graphical representation of the physical states of a substance (solid, liquid, and gas) at different combinations of temperature and pressure.

2. How does electric field affect the phase diagram of carbon?

At large electric fields, the phase diagram of carbon is significantly altered. The electric field can induce phase transitions, change the melting and boiling points, and even create new phases of carbon that do not exist under normal conditions.

3. What are the phases of carbon at large electric fields?

The phases of carbon at large electric fields include diamond, graphite, and various forms of carbon with unique properties such as carbyne and graphyne.

4. How is the phase diagram of carbon at large electric fields studied?

The phase diagram of carbon at large electric fields is studied through experiments that measure the physical properties of carbon under different electric fields and theoretical calculations using computational methods.

5. What are the potential applications of understanding the phase diagram of carbon at large electric fields?

Understanding the phase diagram of carbon at large electric fields has potential applications in materials science, nanotechnology, and energy storage. It can also help in developing new technologies for high-performance electronics and advanced materials.