Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B How can an object move without acceleration?

1. Apr 24, 2017 #1
    hi every one.
    ive been digging around on the idea of volt edge and have come across the idea that potential difference is the difference in electrical potential. this is the energy required to move a partical between two reference points without acceleration?
    i apologies at my lack of knowledge but am only doing my GCSE's. any ways how can an object move without acceleration between two points and there be a difference in this.
    many thanks
    Ewen shackel

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2017 #2

Dale

Staff: Mentor

It can move at a constant velocity. Although, often people mean "negligible acceleration" when they say "constant velocity".

4. Apr 24, 2017 #3
    ok so would we say that the particals are already moving but at different speeds and that this difference is what we are measuring when we measure voltage?
    and thank you for your reply

5. Apr 24, 2017 #4

Dale

Staff: Mentor

Not the difference in speed, but the difference in work. So say we have two particles moving at whatever constant speed they happen to be moving at. One takes twice as much work as the other, so the potential difference was twice as much as the other. The speed is irrelevant as long as it is constant.

6. Apr 24, 2017 #5
    ahh thank you very much that hass clear up the idea a lot.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted