1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B How can gravity be greater than the centripetal force?

1. Jul 14, 2017 #1
    So I saw this in my physics textbook and according to the highlighted sentence, it is possible for the weight to be greater than the centripetal force when the car is at the top of the circle. But how is this possible when the weight itself is PART of the centripetal force when the car is at the top?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 14, 2017 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

The weight is not part of the centripetal force. I don't really like the diagram because it shows normal force instead of centripetal force. Normal force is the sum of centripetal force and weight, so why not just show the two components separately? It looks confusing to me.

4. Jul 14, 2017 #3

Bandersnatch

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Centripetal force is just some value the sum of all actual forces must have in order to make something go in circles.
    These forces here are the weight and the reaction (normal) force. They can be lower or higher than the centripetal force, but only if they together are exactly equal to it will the car follow a circular path.
    So, if weight at the top is larger than the required value of centripetal force, then so is the sum of weight and reaction force, and the car will follow a different trajectory than circular (=it will detach from the track and fall).

Once again, the sum of all forces being equal to centripetal force is the condition for circular motion. If these forces don't meet this condition, then there's no circular motion.

Is it? At the top you'd have ##W+F_c=R_t##. At the Bottom you'd have ##W-F_c=R_b## And yet, ##R_t<R_b##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted