How can hydrostatic pressure be zero?

In summary, zero hydrostatic pressure is the pressure at which a fluid comes to rest on a surface. This pressure can be different depending on the depth of the fluid.
minik
I was reading a paper and I saw a statement that says zero hydrostatic pressure. I was wondering what it means..

Physics news on Phys.org
some people like to measure hydrostatic pressure by cutting off the atmospheric pressure part.they just assume atm. pressure zero.they measure it above or below atm pressure standard line ,also it depends on where you read it.

some people like to measure hydrostatic pressure by cutting off the atmospheric pressure part.they just assume atm. pressure zero.they measure it above or below atm pressure standard line ,also it depends on where you read it.

You are referring to what is known as gauge pressure, but your conclusion is false.

Gauge pressure and hydrstatic pressure only differ by a constant and gauge pressure varies with a fluid just as does hydrostatic.

@minik your query was too short to properly answer as your paper could be about different things.

A simple answer would be what is the hydrostatic pressure of water at a tank or lake surface?

Answer, zero.

But your reference may be referring to moving fluids.

Last edited:
Here is the sentence
"If the water is under zero hydrostatic pressure it will come to rest on a porous surface in some position."
I was also guessing that it means the surface of the water but then it didn't make sense that, is the water layer very thin that we assume hydrostatic pressure to be zero everywhere or is there something else that I am missing..

A flowing fluid has constant total energy.
It divides this between the kinetic energy of motion (flow) and the potential energy, known as the hydrstatic pressure energy.
The faster it flows the more KE it has and the less PE or hydrostatic pressure.

A fluid that is initially at rest and then allowed to flow (eg by opening a tap in the side of a tank) converts some of the hydrostatic energy to kinetic energy when it starts flowing.
The hydrostatic energy depends upon the depth of the fluid.

Conversely a fluid that is spreading out over a surface in a thin layer has little hydrostatic energy as it has little depth.
So it has little energy to drive and maintain the flow.

Further if the surface is rough ie has high friction as a porous surface will, it dissipates some of its energy working against friction so there is a minimum depth which will enable flow over such a surface.

A monomolecular layer of fluid will have zero hydrostatic pressure and no tendency to flow. ie it will come to rest.

A monomolecular layer of fluid will have zero hydrostatic pressure
I have not said any word about gauge pressure.I was really mean that the constant of integration in simple pressure formula if put zero will give some absolute measurement of force and there will not be net force.if you have really gotten some conclusion out of my first post then it was not meant that way i.e. gauge pressure.however are you saying that the thickness of monomolecular level is zero so that it does not give rise to any hydrostatic pressure.

1. What is hydrostatic pressure?

Hydrostatic pressure is the pressure exerted by a fluid, such as water, at rest. It is caused by the weight of the fluid pushing down on an object or surface.

2. How can hydrostatic pressure be zero?

Hydrostatic pressure can be zero when the fluid is not in motion and there is no external force acting on it. This can occur in a container that is sealed and at rest.

3. What are some factors that can affect hydrostatic pressure?

The two main factors that can affect hydrostatic pressure are the density of the fluid and the depth of the fluid. The deeper the fluid, the greater the hydrostatic pressure due to the increased weight of the fluid above.

4. Can hydrostatic pressure be negative?

Yes, hydrostatic pressure can be negative. This usually occurs when the fluid is in a state of tension, such as when it is being pulled or stretched. In this case, the pressure is pulling inward instead of pushing outward.

5. How is hydrostatic pressure measured?

Hydrostatic pressure is typically measured using a device called a manometer, which consists of a U-shaped tube filled with a fluid. The difference in height between the two arms of the tube indicates the hydrostatic pressure of the fluid being measured.