What is the pressure acting on the air?

Lotto
TL;DR Summary
If I take a glass and dip it (perpendicularly to a water surface) with its opened part into water, there should be a thin layer of compressed air. How to determine its pressure?
Let us say that the glass isn't whole under the water. If the height of the air layer under the water is ##\Delta x##, then the pressure the water acts on the gas is ##p=p_{\mathrm {atm}}+\Delta x \rho g##. But my confusion is why the "hydrostaic pressure" is ##\Delta x \rho g##, not ##L\rho g##, where ##L## is the total lenght of a dipped glass. It would be more intuitive for me. I imagine it the way that the hydrostatic pressure ##L\rho g## pushes water up into the glass. It seems strange to me that it is different.

How to explain it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Lotto said:
TL;DR Summary: If I take a glass and dip it (perpendicularly to a water surface) with its opened part into water, there should be a thin layer of compressed air. How to determine its pressure?

Let us say that the glass isn't whole under the water. If the height of the air layer under the water is ##\Delta x##, then the pressure the water acts on the gas is ##p=p_{\mathrm {atm}}+\Delta x \rho g##. But my confusion is why the "hydrostaic pressure" is ##\Delta x \rho g##, not ##L\rho g##, where ##L## is the total lenght of a dipped glass. It would be more intuitive for me. I imagine it the way that the hydrostatic pressure ##L\rho g## pushes water up into the glass. It seems strange to me that it is different.

How to explain it?
1702399659850.png

Something like this?

erobz said:
View attachment 337132

Something like this?
Yes, exactly. My question is why the part of the total pressure is ##(h-\delta)\rho g## instead of ##h\rho g##.

Lotto said:
Yes, exactly. My question is why the part of the total pressure is ##(h-\delta)\rho g## instead of ##h\rho g##.
The absolute pressures of the gas above section 1-1 and the absolute hydrostatic pressure of the fluid below 1-1 must balance at their interface (if this is happening as a quasistatic equilibrium process).

erobz said:
The absolute pressures of the gas above section 1-1 and the absolute hydrostatic pressure of the fluid below 1-1 must balance at their interface (if this is happening as a quasistatic equilibrium process)
Yes, I know, but why is the part of the pressure ##(h-\delta)\rho g##? It is just unintuitive to me.

Lotto said:
Yes, I know, but why is the part of the pressure ##(h-\delta)\rho g##? It is just unintuitive to me.
I'm not getting the issue. It is that, because that is where the interface is - depth of section 1-1 relative to surface. The fluid is incompressible (virtually).

Likes Lotto
erobz said:
I'm not getting the issue. It is that, because that is where the interface is - depth of section 1-1 relative to surface. The fluid is incompressible (virtually).
Ah, OK, I can see my weird thoughts now.

Lotto said:
Ah, OK, I can see my weird thoughts now.
Maybe if the container of water is relatively small surrounding the cup (such that the height of water inside the container would significantly change as you dipped the cup) you can argue there is some less obvious relationship there. It still would be measured from the surface, but the surface height would have some dependency on ##\delta##.

Edit: Disregard, I got myself twisted up.

Last edited:
If the total pressure is ##p##, I would derive it from

##p_{atm}+h\rho g=p+\delta\rho g##.

Likes erobz
You don't need to mess with all that. Just use the ideal gas law assuming that the temperature is constant. If ##A## is the area of the vessel and no air escapes, the gauge pressure inside the vessel will be given by $$p_1V_1=p_2V_2\implies p_{atm}~\cancel{A}~l=p~\cancel{A}~(l-\delta)\implies p=\left(\frac{l}{l-\delta}\right)p_{atm}.$$I assume that by "total" pressure you mean absolute pressure.

kuruman said:
You don't need to mess with all that. Just use the ideal gas law assuming that the temperature is constant. If ##A## is the area of the vessel and no air escapes, the gauge pressure inside the vessel will be given by $$p_1V_1=p_2V_2\implies p_{atm}~\cancel{A}~l=p~\cancel{A}~(l-\delta)\implies p=\left(\frac{l}{l-\delta}\right)p_{atm}.$$I assume that by "total" pressure you mean absolute pressure.

Lotto said:
Let us say that the glass isn't whole under the water.

In order to find ##P(h)## we need to first find ##\delta(h)##

$$ P_{atm} \cancel{A} \ell = P \cancel{A} ( \ell - \delta ) \tag{1} $$

$$ P_{atm} + \rho g h = P + \rho g \delta \tag{2} $$

##(1)## and ##(2)## combine to give ##\delta (h)##

Then sub back into ##(1)## for ##P(h)##

Last edited:

1. What is air pressure?

Air pressure is the force exerted by the weight of the air above a certain point in the Earth's atmosphere. It is caused by the molecules in the air colliding with surfaces and is measured in units such as pounds per square inch (psi) or pascals (Pa).

2. How is air pressure measured?

Air pressure is typically measured using a device called a barometer. There are different types of barometers, such as mercury barometers or aneroid barometers, that can measure air pressure in various units. Weather reports often provide air pressure readings in millibars or inches of mercury.

3. What factors affect air pressure?

Air pressure can be influenced by factors such as altitude, temperature, and weather conditions. As altitude increases, air pressure decreases because there are fewer air molecules above. Temperature can also affect air pressure, with warmer air typically having lower pressure than colder air.

4. How does air pressure change with altitude?

As altitude increases, air pressure decreases. This is because the weight of the air above a certain point decreases as you move higher in the Earth's atmosphere. At sea level, the average air pressure is around 14.7 pounds per square inch (psi), but this decreases as you go higher in altitude.

5. Why is air pressure important?

Air pressure plays a crucial role in weather patterns, as differences in air pressure can cause air masses to move and create wind. It also affects the behavior of gases and liquids, such as in the operation of pneumatic systems or scuba diving equipment. Understanding air pressure is essential for predicting weather and designing various systems that rely on gas or liquid flow.