How can I access and use free databases from Murach's book?

  • Thread starter WWGD
  • Start date
In summary: For example, in Toad you can just type: toad new database mydbname.sql to create a new database. The shell is not necessary, and I am not sure what you mean by 'ERD tool'.The script as I am using it is the code you run to generate the full database. For example, in Toad you can just type: toad new database mydbname.sql to create a new database. The shell is not necessary, and I am not sure what you mean by 'ERD tool'.
  • #1
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
7,005
10,435
Technology news on Phys.org
  • #2
Does it have a shell included, or is it only the server? As in "Here is your new database and there is the link to toad!" And is it better than MySql?
 
  • #3
It is in .sql, which is just a text file. You can just open it, copy the full text, paste it and run it as a query. I haven't tried with MySql. I know it runs in SQl Server and I got my new database in less than a minute. EDIT: These are the databases to be run with SQL Server, maybe MySQL; not the full server.
 
Last edited:
  • #4
So it's just a bunch of scripts? At least as far as I could see. I haven't checked the executive, but the name suggests, that is only a self-extracting file for the scripts.

I thought it was a database server, possibly including a shell. Who needs scripts?
 
  • #5
fresh_42 said:
So it's just a bunch of scripts? At least as far as I could see. I haven't checked the executive, but the name suggests, that is only a self-extracting file for the scripts.

I thought it was a database server, possibly including a shell. Who needs scripts?
If you want a server download SQL Server or My SQL for free. I need the scripts to practice querying. Specially for reasonably-large databases/tables.
 
  • #6
I have once installed another database (HyperFile) including shell and ERD tool. It was part of a programming IDE for lazybones. You can write programs in hours and the installation doesn't require to set up the system for days, as in VisualC e.g. Unfortunately only the demo version, which runs out in time. But it can handle large files pretty well. If I had to deal with databases more often, I think I would buy toad as a shell. Never seen something better, including the shells that came with the database servers from Oracle to MySql.
 
  • #7
fresh_42 said:
I have once installed another database (HyperFile) including shell and ERD tool. It was part of a programming IDE for lazybones. You can write programs in hours and the installation doesn't require to set up the system for days, as in VisualC e.g. Unfortunately only the demo version, which runs out in time. But it can handle large files pretty well. If I had to deal with databases more often, I think I would buy toad as a shell. Never seen something better, including the shells that came with the database servers from Oracle to MySql.
But I don't think scripting a database is simple. Do you script your own?
 
  • #8
Not in the case described above. There you only modell it and let the shell do the job, including all joins. In SQL you only have those create scripts. Once you have one, you can easily build copies of it.
 
  • #9
fresh_42 said:
Not in the case described above. There you only modell it and let the shell do the job, including all joins. In SQL you only have those create scripts. Once you have one, you can easily build copies of it.
I think we may be using the term 'script' differently here. The script as I am using it is the code you run to generate the full database.
 

What is Murach's Free Databases?

Murach's Free Databases is a collection of databases that are made available for free by the Murach publishing company. These databases can be used for educational purposes or for personal projects.

What type of databases are included in Murach's Free Databases?

Murach's Free Databases includes a variety of databases, such as MySQL, Oracle, Microsoft Access, and Microsoft SQL Server. Each database comes with sample data and instructions on how to use it.

Do I need any special software to use Murach's Free Databases?

In order to use Murach's Free Databases, you will need to have the appropriate database management software installed on your computer. This can include programs like MySQL Workbench, Microsoft Access, or SQL Server Management Studio.

Can I modify the databases in Murach's Free Databases?

Yes, you are free to modify the databases in Murach's Free Databases to suit your needs. However, Murach recommends making a copy of the original database before making any changes, in case you need to revert back to the original version.

Are there any restrictions on the use of Murach's Free Databases?

Murach's Free Databases are intended for educational and personal use only. They cannot be used for commercial purposes without obtaining permission from Murach publishing company.

Similar threads

  • Programming and Computer Science
Replies
4
Views
1K
  • Programming and Computer Science
Replies
15
Views
2K
  • Programming and Computer Science
Replies
5
Views
2K
  • Programming and Computer Science
Replies
13
Views
3K
  • Programming and Computer Science
2
Replies
65
Views
2K
  • Programming and Computer Science
Replies
8
Views
2K
  • Programming and Computer Science
Replies
5
Views
2K
  • Programming and Computer Science
Replies
15
Views
1K
  • Programming and Computer Science
Replies
13
Views
2K
Replies
7
Views
210
Back
Top