Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to get Permission to See Tables Diagram in MSSQL2014

1. Feb 18, 2016 #1

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi All,
    I am using a prefab database from MSSQL 2014 (I installed it and imported a file from Murach's site containing scripts, I queried the scripts , whose output was the database). I can see all the tables and the table contents, i.e.,
    my 'Select * from table_name ' all run without a problem. But I get nothing when I ask to see the table
    diagrams, i.e., the ERD (Entity-Relation Diagram), I get nothing. I have read something to the effect that
    viewing diagrams (even without the option of changing/rewriting) requires a certain level of access, which
    I assume I don't have (although I believe that during the installation process I was automatically assigned the role of dba). Anyone know how to go about viewing the DB's ERD? Is there a way of figuring out my access level in this database setup?
    Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2016 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

Did you use the import assistant or simply start the script without an import? Is it the full or express version of MSSQL 2014, 64 or 32 bit?

4. Feb 19, 2016 #3

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The script was part of some freeware in Murach's website (unaffiliated to MSSQL2014, AFAIK), as a .zip file. I just copied the file contents and ran them as a query. It was a full version of MSSQL2014, 64-bit which I downloaded in a "standard" way, by selecting MSSQL2014 with tools as the file I wanted to download, and then clicking..

5. Feb 19, 2016 #4

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

6. Feb 23, 2016 #5

harborsparrow

Gold Member

If you don't even see the Diagrams folder above the Tables folder in Sql Management Studio, you need to get your user id added to the correct role:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms186345.aspx

About what a "role" is:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms189121.aspx

If you're using a server managed by a database administrator, they will resist giving you that role in many cases, which is quite frustrating. But on your own local machine, you can always give it to yourself using the 'sa' account or other administrator account. Here's where you do that:

setting_roles.jpg

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook