How to get Permission to See Tables Diagram in MSSQL2014

  • Thread starter Thread starter WWGD
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Diagram
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Messages
7,908
Reaction score
13,226
Hi All,
I am using a prefab database from MSSQL 2014 (I installed it and imported a file from Murach's site containing scripts, I queried the scripts , whose output was the database). I can see all the tables and the table contents, i.e.,
my 'Select * from table_name ' all run without a problem. But I get nothing when I ask to see the table
diagrams, i.e., the ERD (Entity-Relation Diagram), I get nothing. I have read something to the effect that
viewing diagrams (even without the option of changing/rewriting) requires a certain level of access, which
I assume I don't have (although I believe that during the installation process I was automatically assigned the role of dba). Anyone know how to go about viewing the DB's ERD? Is there a way of figuring out my access level in this database setup?
Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Did you use the import assistant or simply start the script without an import? Is it the full or express version of MSSQL 2014, 64 or 32 bit?
 
The script was part of some freeware in Murach's website (unaffiliated to MSSQL2014, AFAIK), as a .zip file. I just copied the file contents and ran them as a query. It was a full version of MSSQL2014, 64-bit which I downloaded in a "standard" way, by selecting MSSQL2014 with tools as the file I wanted to download, and then clicking..
 
If you don't even see the Diagrams folder above the Tables folder in Sql Management Studio, you need to get your user id added to the correct role:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms186345.aspx

About what a "role" is:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms189121.aspx

If you're using a server managed by a database administrator, they will resist giving you that role in many cases, which is quite frustrating. But on your own local machine, you can always give it to yourself using the 'sa' account or other administrator account. Here's where you do that:

setting_roles.jpg
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD