How can I accurately calculate the power absorbed in a circuit?

  • Topic: Engineering 
  • Thread starter Thread starter karaandnick
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Circuit Power
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
karaandnick
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
I wish someone could tell me what I am doing wrong. I have tried using P=VI then integrating P from t1 to t2 where I get 225uJ but it keeps telling me I am wrong. Seems like a rather simple problem.


circuits.jpg



Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


 
Physics news on Phys.org
karaandnick said:
I wish someone could tell me what I am doing wrong. I have tried using P=VI then integrating P from t1 to t2 where I get 225uJ but it keeps telling me I am wrong. Seems like a rather simple problem.


circuits.jpg



Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


Welcome to the PF.

I think you left out a factor of 1/2 in the first part of the integration. I get half of your answer.
 
I think he's out by a factor of 6.

If you normalize everything it just comes down to [itex]\int_0^1 x(1-x) dx = 1/6[/itex]

Doing it properly with V, I and tr in the equation you get [tex]\frac{V \, I \, t_r}{6}[/tex]
 
uart said:
I think he's out by a factor of 6.

If you normalize everything it just comes down to [itex]\int_0^1 x(1-x) dx = 1/6[/itex]

Doing it properly with V, I and tr in the equation you get [tex]\frac{V \, I \, t_r}{6}[/tex]

Interesting approach. Did you try it just the standard way, though? The number for t is so small that the t^3 term after the integration is negligible (if I did it right), and only the t^2 term contributes to the answer...
 
I ended up figuring it out. I decided to write equations for the slopes of each line. So

for the voltage

-30/250x + 30

For current

30/250x
[itex]\int[/itex](-30/250x+30)(30/250x)dx from 0 to 250

Then multiply by 10^-3 to get in micro jewel

Comes to 37.5uJ

Crazy little problem but I am ME so not used to this sort of thing.
 
I just noticed everyone's approach worked, geniuses. Thanks for everything, its nice to know there are still people out there willing to help others. I will definitely write these approaches down in my book for later use.