1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Power absorbed by multiple elements

1. Aug 26, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Calculate the power absorbed at t=0,t=0+,and t=200 mS by each of the elements in the circuit of fig 11.25 if us is equal to (a) -10u(-t) V (b) 20 + 5u(-t) V

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    http://www.chegg.com/homework-help/...pter-11-problem-3e-solution-9780073529578-exc

The link posted above is the solution I'm trying to understand it I can also upload my work but it is more or less a copy of the solution so I saw no point. What I don't understand starting on the first part is how Vs(t)=-10u(-t) V=-10 at negative infinity to 0? First off what is u(-t) is this reactance or impedance? Furthermore if I took the limit if this as t approaches negative infinity would the function go to infinity not -10? So obviously it's not infinity even though it seems that it would, so I would have to assume u(-t)=1 for it to work. Why one because I am assuming that it has to do with current not flowing before time t=0? This also then begs another question as to why from 0 to infinity it is 0 implying that the voltage stops after time t=0 because u(-t)=0.Well anyways this is just two question of many that I have, so I am gonna ask this question first and slowly propagate through my errors in this problem?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2013 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

First off, I call the resistor R and the inductor L.

vs(t) is voltage.

vs = -10u(-t) means vs was -10 Volts from time = -∞ to t = 0, then vs = 0V. So at t=0 what is the current thru R? And 200 ms later what is it?

PS - L does not 'absorb' power, it stores it and discharges it. So the only element you have to worry about is R.

4. Aug 27, 2013 #3
    Hmm could it be i(t)=Vs/R(1-e^(-Rt/L))u(-t) which gives me -10 V at t=0 but I fear that this isn't even close?

5. Aug 27, 2013 #4

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's not only close, it's exactly right.

But you did not need to solve for V(t). Any function of time, like a voltage V(t), when multiplied by U(-t) means the function is V(t) until t = 0, then it's zero. It's the opposite of V(t)*U(t) which is zero until t = 0, then = 1.

Your function is V(t)*U(-t).

U(t) = 0 for t < 0, then = 1
    U(-t) = 1 for t < 0, then = 0.
    More generally, U(t-τ) = 0 for t < τ, then = 1
    U[-(t-τ)] = 1 for t < -τ, then = 0

6. Aug 27, 2013 #5
    Ok so thanks for the help on the first part. Let me ask you another question is the solution posted correct? Also at t=0- the voltage across the inductor voltage is Vl(0-)=L(di(0-)/dt) then L(d(-10)/dt)=0 why is this is this just how an inductor works?

7. Aug 27, 2013 #6
    Oh wait the solution can't be correct because no power is absorbed by an inductor

8. Aug 27, 2013 #7

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's right.

With V(t) = 20 + 5U(-t) that means the input votage is 25V until t = 0-, the it's 20V for t >= 0+.

So you need to establish the initial current i(t) at t = 0 and then solve your equation for the current after that. Same for part (a). Then power dissipated in R = [i(t)^2]*R.

To sum up, (1) find your initial current based on the input voltage at t = 0-
    (2) calculate the total current at t = 0 and t = 200 ms so you need i(t), t >= 0+
    (3) compute (i^2)*R in all four cases.

When calculating the total current, remember that it consists of two parts:
    1. the time-varying current due to the initial current i(0), which is the current with zero input voltage, and
    2. the time-varying current due to the input voltage as though the initial current were zero.

Using the principle of superposition you add both parts to determine the current as a function of time t > 0. The two currents have different equations BTW.

9. Aug 27, 2013 #8
    So initial current at t=0- the current is -10 A. Which if I plug into the power equation i^2R I get 100W at t=0-.

10. Aug 27, 2013 #9
    Which is for R

11. Aug 27, 2013 #10

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's correct. And BTW the current is the same at t = 0+ as at t = 0-. That's because current thru an inductor can't change instantaneously.

Now the harder part: how do you compute the power at t = 200 ms?

12. Aug 27, 2013 #11
    Ok so then the power at P(0+)=100 W and so is P(0). So I found an equation from the solution that I think might work so P(200 mS)=100e^(-200/250) W = 44.93 W I am goons keep looking for equations because I feel this is incorrect

13. Aug 27, 2013 #12

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

'Fraid so. Remember I said you need to consider two separate currents: assuming zero volts input for all t > 0, the current at t=0 and how it behaves for t>0; and the current due to the finite input voltage at t = 0+ assuming no initial current. Then you add the two currents.

Start with figuring the current for t>0 as if Vin = 0 for all t >= 0+.

14. Aug 27, 2013 #13
    Wait if the input voltage is zero wouldn't that make the current at those values assuming no voltage 0 too?

15. Aug 27, 2013 #14

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The current was not zero at t=0 even if Vin = 0 for t =>0. There is current in the inductor even if you short the input at t=0.

16. Aug 27, 2013 #15
    Well the voltage across the inductor would be -10e^(0)=-10 V so Il=-10 A at t=0

17. Aug 27, 2013 #16

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, the voltage across the inductor at t = 0- is zero. For an inductor, V = L di/dt and di/dt = 0 at t = 0- since by then the current is a nice constant -10A. At t = 0- the entire input voltage is across the resistor.

The current has had infinite time (from -∞ to 0-) to settle out.

You need to solve for the current where R is in series with L, the combo is shorted out, but an initial current runs thru R and L. What is the time response of that current?

18. Aug 27, 2013 #17
    L/R so 250e-3/1= 250e-3 sec

19. Aug 27, 2013 #18
    I looked up an equation for series RL circuits don't know if its helpful but I(t)=I(1-e^(-t/Tao)) which when I solve
    -10(1-e^(-200/250)) which gives -5.506

20. Aug 27, 2013 #19
    Dang I guess you won't be getting back with me tonight oh well I have to turn it in at 9 tomorrow. Still I want to know about it

21. Aug 27, 2013 #20

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

???

I mean, what is the expression for i(t)?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted