Power absorbed by multiple elements

In summary: Wait is the power absorbed by the inductor or resistor?Wait is the power absorbed by the inductor or resistor?Only the resistor absorbs power (when there is any power absorbed). The inductor is the source of power to the resistor. So when the inductor is absorbing (storing) power the resistor is disspating power. And when the inductor is giving power to the resistor, the resistor is absorbing power.
DODGEVIPER13 said:
Sweet so I found the power absorbed by the resistor, obviously did not need to for the inductor. But what about the power source I guess that's obvious because it supply's and does not absorb.

Right. Power supplies don't absorb power, they provide it.

Remeber from now on, U(-t) sets up the initial conditions and U(t) starts the input voltage (or whatever) at t = 0+. If the input has neiter U(t) nor U(-t) multiplying it then that input is there from t = -∞ to +∞. Like the 20V in part b.

Also, remember that the input can be time-shifted from t = 0: U(t-τ) means the input is zero until t = τ. And U[-(t - τ)] means the input is zero starting at t = -τ.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey man thanks for all your help I have the problem right now. I really need to work a ton of theses, so I can get used to them. I will add thanks for all your posts later as my ipad won't allow it for some reason.

DODGEVIPER13 said:
At 200mS I got 494.6176. I got 400 from 20^2 times R which is 1. Obviously since you have questioned this its not correct

494.61W is correct for P(200 ms). The 400 number makes no sense. The idea is, you take your expression for i(t) for which you have worked so hard, plug in t = 0.2s, then square and multiply by 1 ohm. That's for t=200ms. For t=0 you obviously let t=0 in the same i(t) expression.

Last edited:
Yah 400 was my number for t=0 which I believe to be 625?

DODGEVIPER13 said:
Yah 400 was my number for t=0 which I believe to be 625?

Right. P(0) = 25^2 = 625. Current at t=0 was 25A.

DODGEVIPER13 said:
Hey man thanks for all your help I have the problem right now. I really need to work a ton of theses, so I can get used to them. I will add thanks for all your posts later as my ipad won't allow it for some reason.

No prob. Yer' welcome.

Likes 1 person
Heh whoops (b) is actually 20+5u(t) so that would mean at t=0- I would get I(-0)= 20 A and power would be 400 W it would. Also be 400 W at t= 0 and 0+. So at 200 mS it should be 20exp(-.8)+25(1-exp(-.8)) = 22.75 A then P( 200 mS)= 517.71 W.

DODGEVIPER13 said:
Heh whoops (b) is actually 20+5u(t) so that would mean at t=0- I would get I(-0)= 20 A and power would be 400 W it would. Also be 400 W at t= 0 and 0+. So at 200 mS it should be 20exp(-.8)+25(1-exp(-.8)) = 22.75 A then P( 200 mS)= 517.71 W.

All correct! Good going.

Likes 1 person
<h2>1. What is the definition of power absorbed by multiple elements?</h2><p>The power absorbed by multiple elements is the total amount of energy that is absorbed by a system consisting of multiple components or elements. This can include electrical, mechanical, thermal, or other forms of energy.</p><h2>2. How is power absorbed by multiple elements calculated?</h2><p>The power absorbed by multiple elements can be calculated by summing the individual power absorbed by each element in the system. This can be done using the equation P = VI, where P is power, V is voltage, and I is current.</p><h2>3. What factors can affect the power absorbed by multiple elements?</h2><p>The power absorbed by multiple elements can be affected by various factors such as the type and number of elements in the system, their individual properties, the voltage and current applied, and the overall design and configuration of the system.</p><h2>4. How does power absorbed by multiple elements differ from power consumed?</h2><p>Power absorbed by multiple elements refers to the energy that is taken in by the system, while power consumed refers to the energy that is used or converted by the system. In some cases, the power absorbed and power consumed may be the same, but in others, there may be losses or inefficiencies that result in a difference between the two.</p><h2>5. How can the power absorbed by multiple elements be optimized?</h2><p>The power absorbed by multiple elements can be optimized by carefully designing and selecting the components and elements in the system, minimizing losses and inefficiencies, and ensuring that the voltage and current applied are appropriate for the system's needs. Regular maintenance and monitoring can also help to optimize power absorption in the long term.</p>

1. What is the definition of power absorbed by multiple elements?

The power absorbed by multiple elements is the total amount of energy that is absorbed by a system consisting of multiple components or elements. This can include electrical, mechanical, thermal, or other forms of energy.

2. How is power absorbed by multiple elements calculated?

The power absorbed by multiple elements can be calculated by summing the individual power absorbed by each element in the system. This can be done using the equation P = VI, where P is power, V is voltage, and I is current.

3. What factors can affect the power absorbed by multiple elements?

The power absorbed by multiple elements can be affected by various factors such as the type and number of elements in the system, their individual properties, the voltage and current applied, and the overall design and configuration of the system.

4. How does power absorbed by multiple elements differ from power consumed?

Power absorbed by multiple elements refers to the energy that is taken in by the system, while power consumed refers to the energy that is used or converted by the system. In some cases, the power absorbed and power consumed may be the same, but in others, there may be losses or inefficiencies that result in a difference between the two.

5. How can the power absorbed by multiple elements be optimized?

The power absorbed by multiple elements can be optimized by carefully designing and selecting the components and elements in the system, minimizing losses and inefficiencies, and ensuring that the voltage and current applied are appropriate for the system's needs. Regular maintenance and monitoring can also help to optimize power absorption in the long term.