Power absorbed by multiple elements

In summary: Wait is the power absorbed by the inductor or resistor?Wait is the power absorbed by the inductor or resistor?Only the resistor absorbs power (when there is any power absorbed). The inductor is the source of power to the resistor. So when the inductor is absorbing (storing) power the resistor is disspating power. And when the inductor is giving power to the resistor, the resistor is absorbing power.
DODGEVIPER13 said:
Sweet so I found the power absorbed by the resistor, obviously did not need to for the inductor. But what about the power source I guess that's obvious because it supply's and does not absorb.

Right. Power supplies don't absorb power, they provide it.

Remeber from now on, U(-t) sets up the initial conditions and U(t) starts the input voltage (or whatever) at t = 0+. If the input has neiter U(t) nor U(-t) multiplying it then that input is there from t = -∞ to +∞. Like the 20V in part b.

Also, remember that the input can be time-shifted from t = 0: U(t-τ) means the input is zero until t = τ. And U[-(t - τ)] means the input is zero starting at t = -τ.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey man thanks for all your help I have the problem right now. I really need to work a ton of theses, so I can get used to them. I will add thanks for all your posts later as my ipad won't allow it for some reason.

DODGEVIPER13 said:
At 200mS I got 494.6176. I got 400 from 20^2 times R which is 1. Obviously since you have questioned this its not correct

494.61W is correct for P(200 ms). The 400 number makes no sense. The idea is, you take your expression for i(t) for which you have worked so hard, plug in t = 0.2s, then square and multiply by 1 ohm. That's for t=200ms. For t=0 you obviously let t=0 in the same i(t) expression.

Last edited:
Yah 400 was my number for t=0 which I believe to be 625?

DODGEVIPER13 said:
Yah 400 was my number for t=0 which I believe to be 625?

Right. P(0) = 25^2 = 625. Current at t=0 was 25A.

DODGEVIPER13 said:
Hey man thanks for all your help I have the problem right now. I really need to work a ton of theses, so I can get used to them. I will add thanks for all your posts later as my ipad won't allow it for some reason.

No prob. Yer' welcome.

Likes 1 person
Heh whoops (b) is actually 20+5u(t) so that would mean at t=0- I would get I(-0)= 20 A and power would be 400 W it would. Also be 400 W at t= 0 and 0+. So at 200 mS it should be 20exp(-.8)+25(1-exp(-.8)) = 22.75 A then P( 200 mS)= 517.71 W.

DODGEVIPER13 said:
Heh whoops (b) is actually 20+5u(t) so that would mean at t=0- I would get I(-0)= 20 A and power would be 400 W it would. Also be 400 W at t= 0 and 0+. So at 200 mS it should be 20exp(-.8)+25(1-exp(-.8)) = 22.75 A then P( 200 mS)= 517.71 W.

All correct! Good going.

Likes 1 person