How can I calculate the acceleration in this system?

In summary, acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time and is measured in meters per second squared or feet per second squared. To calculate acceleration, you need to know the change in velocity and the time it takes for that change to occur. It can be negative if an object is slowing down and can be accounted for using the formula a = g, where g is the acceleration due to gravity.
Noor_Arnaoud
Homework Statement
I failed to understand how to compute acceleration here , where we do have an accelerated pulley holding two masses
Help me please
Relevant Equations
F
20191011_111626.jpg
ma

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, consider one block of them, and using only variables (don't substitute with numbers), try to find its acceleration.
Hint : What forces are acting upon each block?

Alternatively, if you are in an elevator accelerating up with acceleration ##a## and you stand on a scale, your weight reading will be ##m(g+a)##. Now imagine the pulley being attached to the ceiling of this elevator and you put ##m_1## and ##m_2## on the scale before attaching them to the rope. What would the scale read? Therefore, ...

Likes jbriggs444

What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (amount) and direction. Acceleration can be positive (speeding up), negative (slowing down), or zero (constant velocity).

How can I calculate acceleration?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. This can be represented by the formula a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

What units is acceleration measured in?

Acceleration is typically measured in meters per second squared (m/s²) in the metric system and feet per second squared (ft/s²) in the imperial system.

Can acceleration change over time?

Yes, acceleration can change over time. This is known as variable acceleration and is commonly seen in real-world scenarios where an object's velocity is constantly changing, such as a car accelerating and decelerating on a road.

How does mass affect acceleration?

Mass and acceleration have an inverse relationship. This means that as mass increases, acceleration decreases, and vice versa. This is described by Newton's second law of motion, which states that the force applied to an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration (F = ma).