Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How can i calculate the exact amount of heat absorbed by a black paint

1. Jul 8, 2011 #1
    Hi.
    Knowing the LRV, heat source and all other relevant details, how can we deduce the exact temp rise with black colour (or any other colour for that matter)??

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 9, 2011 #2
    What are your thoughts on the problem?

4. Jul 10, 2011 #3
    i think just like we do for metals, if we know the heat absorption coefficient, then it can be done.
    But unfortunately i cant find anything named "heat absorption coefficient" for black colour.
    Is there any equivalent?

5. Jul 10, 2011 #4
    If the body is painted black then you can get approximate answers by treating it as a black body(perfect absorber/radiator).For other colours you can refer to the heat absorption coefficient(emissivity)but I doubt if you can get perfect data because different paints,even those that might look the same,have different characteristics.To add to the complications some paints have spectral emissivities that are are temperature dependant.
    It seems that you are tackling a problem that can very complicated.Radiation is not the only method of heat transfer since you also have convection and conduction and possibly evaporation/condensation.There are so many variables.
    If you gave more details about what exactly it is you are trying to do people here might be able to give you more advice.Am I right in guessing that you are starting a project with an emphasis on practical work which is about comparing the radiation/absorption characteristics of different surfaces?

6. Jul 10, 2011 #5
    Hi.
    My work is very close to comparing the radiation/absorption characteristics of metal plate painted with different colours.
    So, if there is a steel plate painted black, can i take the rise in temperature of paint to be the final temperature of the steel plate. (Assuming that the paint passes all of its heat to the parent metal.)

Tackling individual paint or steel plate if fine, but does the same hold true when you are talking about a steel plate painted black?

7. Jul 11, 2011 #6
    I think this is such a difficult problem to deal with theoretically because there are so many variables just one other being connected with the thermal conductivity of the paint.I think that if the paint is thin enough,and if all the surroundings have the same temperature,and if the plate is painted on all surfaces then it is fairly reasonable to assume that the plate will come to thermal equilibrium with the paint surface.
    Try googling heat transfer coefficient and cooling zone.com

8. Jul 11, 2011 #7

turbo

Gold Member

There are some very tricky variables! Many years ago, 3M was making a "Solar-Absorbent" coating that was super-black. My observing partner and I managed to cadge a supply of that material from an engineer at 3M so we could coat all the interior surfaces of our telescopes, adapters, eyepieces, etc with it. We couldn't legally buy it because the solvents were carcinogenic, but we managed to arrange to get an "engineering sample".

That stuff is WAY blacker and more absorbent than conventional paints.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook