How can I calculate the flow rate created by a fan connected to an engine?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
pigwiddeon
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Hello

I am trying to design a vacuum using venturi. I cannot quite get the air flow created by the rotation of the fan, which is connected to the engine.

How is the relation between the fan speed and the flow rate created by it?

I know the proportionalities between the speed, power and the flow rate etc. But I need a solid equation which I can use to calculate exact number of the flow rate.

Thanks in advance for your answers
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Ironically, last night we got exactly the same question about a different fan/flow situation. The answer is that there is no simple equation. You need to know the details of the system and you need the fan performance curve. I'd look at actual vacuum cleaner fans for typical performance information.

Thread moved to mechanical engineering section.
 
Last edited: