1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How can I calculate the residues of this function

1. Feb 9, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hey guys.
    How can I calculate the residues of this function (in the pic) in all of its singularity points?
    I'm kind of a newbie in this this residues stuff and I can really use an example.

Thanks in advance.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      2.6 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2009 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: residues

Well, you've got to show us that you've tried something. Can you please state the formula for finding the residue of a function at a pole of order n?

4. Feb 9, 2009 #3

Well, where can I find that?

All I know is how to use the residue with this formula (in the pic).

Thanks a lot.

Attached Files:

5. Feb 9, 2009 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That formula is normally used to evaluate an integral after you have found the residues but it can be used the other way.

Notice that if you integrate [itex]z^n[/itex], for n not equal to -1, around a circle of radius R, you can take [itex]z= Re^{i\theta}[/itex] so [itex]dz= Ri e^{i\theta}d\theta[/itex] and the integral is
    [tex]Ri \int_0^{2\pi} e^{i(n+1)\theta}d\theta= \frac{R}{n+1}e^{i(n+1)x}[/tex]
    evaluated at 0 and [itex]2\pi[/itex] so it is 0. If n= -1, n+1= 0 so we can't use that integral but we have
    [tex]i\int_0^{2\pi}d\theta= 2\pi i[/tex]

A function f(z) has a pole of order n at [itex]z= z_0[/itex] if and only if it can be written as a power series with negative integer powers down to -n, say f(z)= [itex]a_{-n}z^{-n}+ a_{-n+1}z^{-n}+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ a_{-1}z^{-1}+ a_0+ a_1z+ \cdot\cdot\cdot[/itex]. If we integrate that term by term, we get 0 for every term except the [itex]z^{-1}[/itex] term which gives [itex]2\pi i a_{-1}[/itex]: The "residue" at z= [itex]z_0[/itex] IS the coefficient of [itex]z^{-1}[/itex].

So do this: use "partial fractions" to write this function as [tex]\frac{Az+ B}{z^2}+ \frac{C}{z-1}= \frac{Az}{z^2}+ \frac{B}{z^2}+ \frac{C}{z- 1}[/itex] and integrate first around a small circle z= 0 to find the residue at z= 0 and then a small circle around z= 1 to find the residue at z=1. Or just look at the coefficients of 1/z and 1/(z-1)!

6. Feb 9, 2009 #5

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In your book? :confused: If that doesn't work, then do a Google search for "residue of a pole". The first hit contains the formula. Once you've located the formula then we can talk about how to use it.

7. Feb 10, 2009 #6

Ok, this is what I did (in the pic).

Now I need to sum the residues to get the answer?

Thanks.

Attached Files:

8. Feb 10, 2009 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The answer to what question? In your original post you only asked about the residues themselves.

If the problem is to find the integral around a closed path having both z= 0 and z= 1 in its interior then the integral is the sum of the residues times [itex]2\pi i[/itex].

If the problem is to find the integral around a closed path that contains z= 0 but not z= 1 in its interior then the integral is the residue at z= 0 times [itex]2\pi i[/itex].

If the problem is to find the integral around a closed path that contain z= 1 but not z= 0 in its interior then the integral is the residue at z= 1 times [itex]2\pi i[/itex].

To be complete, if the problem is to find the integral around a closed path that contains neither z= 0 nor z= 1 in its interior then the integral is 0, of course.

9. Feb 10, 2009 #8

Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook