How can I create a battery powered LED that flashes 8 times per minute?

  • Thread starter Thread starter brian04
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Led
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
brian04
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Hey team i need some simple electrical engineering advice. I am a surgery resident and I need battery powered LED that flashes at 8 times a minute. Research funding is about as easy to find as health insurance so I am trying it on my own. I thought about just taking apart a flashing light that I use when i ride my bike to work but I am not sure conceptually the mechanism for changing the timing of the flash.
Project requirements:
- small (about the size of the old school plastic rings out of the 25 cent machines)
- battery powered
- 8 flashes per minute
- duration of flashing 2 hours max

I am thinking that I'll just build the circuit on a hinge so that when the attachment site is expanded to a hemisphere it completes the circuit and the light begins to flash. Any thoughts would be great. Especially on the timing mechanism.
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
brian04 said:
Hey team i need some simple electrical engineering advice. I am a surgery resident and I need battery powered LED that flashes at 8 times a minute. Research funding is about as easy to find as health insurance so I am trying it on my own. I thought about just taking apart a flashing light that I use when i ride my bike to work but I am not sure conceptually the mechanism for changing the timing of the flash.
Good idea if you want something quick and ready to go. I haven't inspected a bike flasher either, but it may very well be a simple resistor - capacitor pair that is used to establish the existing timing. If so, and you can find and identify the resistor, then removing and replacing the existing resistor w/ something larger will likely work. That is, if the current flash rate is T=0.5s and you want T=~7s, then replace with an R ~14X larger from your local electronic supply. Soldering etc required for a permanent fix.