How many batteries are needed to light up this led button?

In summary: This led switch has a capacity of 24V but I'm not sure if that's the led bulb circuit or the slave/power circuit. Here's another answer I received from another site,"The max capacity is 24 volts but I'm not sure if that's the led bulb circuit or the slave/power circuit. Here's another answer I received from another site,"3vdc or greater, 20 mA current. You supply the external resistor based on maintaining 20mA. Vf varies between 1.7v and 2.2v depending on color, and If is the standard 0.02 amps. See page 3 of source. Two AA batteries in series would power it for a long time. If
shushi_boi
Hello everyone,

I am currently involved in a project where I'm building a pipboy 3000 from scratch. I'm close to finishing it and I wanted to take the extra step and make some functional/interactive buttons on it. I've been searching for led button switches to use for some of the buttons for the pipboy and this one was the best option I found all day (its the only one I found that ships here in the US and its the best fit; 8mm diameter button).

I was hoping if anyone might be available to help me figure out how many (and what kind of) batteries would I need in order to make a circuit with the led button functional? I know the basics of electrics since I took automotive in high school and how to solder/build basic circuits, but I'm not too good in creating a circuit from scratch.

Here's the ebay link to it;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/IDEC-AL8M-A11-Y-Push-Button-Lighted-Switch-SPDT-Maintained-8mm-Rnd-LED-YLW-CA34-/400967924218?hash=item5d5b8cf9fa:g:qwsAAOSw~gRVuXhs

The only useful information I think I found about this led switch is that its max capacity is 24 volts but I'm not sure if that's the led bulb circuit or the slave/power circuit. Here's another answer I received from another site, but I'm not sure if the info is accurate,

"3vdc or greater, 20 mA current. You supply the external resistor based on maintaining 20mA. Vf varies between 1.7v and 2.2v depending on color, and If is the standard 0.02 amps. See page 3 of source. Two AA batteries in series would power it for a long time. If it was illuminated only 5 or 10 minutes a day, a single CR2032 coin battery would work

R = (Operating Voltage – Vf) / If

Source(s):
https://www.idec.com/language/english/catalog/Switches/A8Series.pdf"

bulb.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
The links don't work for me but ..

If you used a 3V CR2032 the resistor you need would be either..

R=(3-2.2)/0.02
Or
R=(3-1.7)/0.02

Depending on the colour of led.

A CR2032 has a capacity of about 200mAh so would power the LED for about 200/20 = 10 hours.

Likes shushi_boi
A CR2032 cannot supply current at that level and meet its Ah rating. They are generally rated in the vicinity of 200uA. You can draw quick bursts at high currents, but then the chemistry needs time to recover. You might get a few minutes at 20ma.

Here is a typical datsheet http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/cr2032.pdf

Likes shushi_boi
Thank you CWatters and meBigGuy

I messaged the owner but he claims not to have the information available from the manufacturer, but he affirms that the LED is colored yellow. Here's another updated response from another site,

"This is a data sheet: http://www.galco.com/techdoc/idec/al8m-a11-y_cp.pdf
This is other helpful info:http://www.lectrocomponents.com/pushbuttons/idec-al8m-a11-y-switch/

You need a resistor of 39 ohms 1/4 Watt in series with two AA batteries or C or D, which ever is easiest for you. You may want to get a battery holder. The battery voltage will be 3V the LED Vf is 2.2V and the current is 20mA.
This is shown at the bottom in the last table for a yellow LED."

Data sheet says Yellow LED is nominally 2.2V so yes the R you need for 3V would be..

(3-2.2)/0.02 = 40R (nearest standard value is 39R).

The power rating you need is tiny... 0.8 * 0,02 = 0.016W so not sure why they say you need 1/4W - perhaps because they are easy to handle so you could solder it direct to the pin on the switch if you wanted. 1/8th W would also be ok.

Likes shushi_boi

1. How do I determine how many batteries are needed to light up this led button?

The number of batteries needed depends on the voltage of the LED button and the voltage of the batteries being used. Generally, for a simple LED button, you will need a battery with a voltage higher than the LED's voltage. For example, if the LED button has a voltage of 3 volts, you will need at least one battery with a voltage of 4.5 volts.

2. Can I use any type of battery to power the LED button?

It is important to use the correct type of battery for the LED button. The battery must have a voltage higher than the LED's voltage, and it should also have enough current to power the LED. Commonly used batteries for LED buttons include AA, AAA, and coin cell batteries.

3. How do I know if my batteries are drained and need to be replaced?

If the LED button is not lighting up or is dim, it is likely that the batteries need to be replaced. You can also use a battery tester to check the voltage of the batteries. If the voltage is significantly lower than the required voltage for the LED button, it is time to replace the batteries.

4. Can I use rechargeable batteries for the LED button?

Yes, you can use rechargeable batteries for the LED button as long as they have a voltage higher than the LED's voltage. However, keep in mind that rechargeable batteries may have a lower voltage than non-rechargeable batteries, so you may need to use multiple batteries to achieve the required voltage.

5. How long will the batteries last in the LED button?

The lifespan of the batteries will depend on the type of battery, the voltage of the LED button, and the frequency of use. Generally, LED buttons have a low power consumption, so the batteries should last for a considerable amount of time. If the LED button is used frequently, it is recommended to have spare batteries on hand for replacement when needed.